Mechanical Protection

Sponsored Links
Selection and errection! i all depends on the environment it is placed, T+E will be suitable in some environments SWA in others SWA with a 6mm steel capping will be required in others, MICC is only suitable if there is no vibration perfect cable routes etc, i've inspected countless installations of MI which have failed due to poor termination or installation, why people still use it for other than essential fire proof circuits is beyond me.

If people are not savvy with MICC they shouldnt use it. Installed properly it will last forever.

jeepmadmike said:
why people still use it [MICC] for other than essential fire proof circuits is beyond me.

Aesthetics
Reduced cable size
Less risk if overloaded
If installed correctly it will last indefinatly
Fire & explosion proof
Has its own mechanical protection

BTW it can be used where vibration is present.
For example if a motor is fed in pyro, there is no problem providing a loop has been put between the last fixing and the motor.

We fit loads of pyro on non fireproof installations, especially old churces and the like. Done right, you will not get a neater, more discreet installation.

Sponsored Links
we should look at europe they use rigid round cable a million times better for the majority of installations than MI SWA T+E etc sorry but MI is so last century :LOL: it costs a futune to install i can see your the resons for your arguements but those are special installations, if the installation is designed correctly the risk of overload should not exist! explosion proof!! i find SWA is stronger at the terminations which is where MI fails! causing explosion and fire..........

There is nothing on the market that is fire proof except MICC. So last century? This isnt Gucci we're talking about here. Its the best practical solution for a fire alarm per se. It is still specified so it is still modern. In my experience, those who dislike it have problems when installing it.

i'll happly install it if it is necessary, but very rarely do, having said that i dont install alot of cable these days. " There is nothing on the market that is fire proof except MICC" as i said special installations. i see so many badly installed cables of all types. on a inspection of a filling station i carried out recently there was a newly installed LPG pump very well installed MICC cables with vibration loops etc explosive proof starter etc on closer inspection there was a un blanked cable entry in the motor TB!!

RF Lighting said:
jeepmadmike said:
why people still use it [MICC] for other than essential fire proof circuits is beyond me.

Aesthetics....We fit loads of pyro on non fireproof installations, especially old churces and the like. Done right, you will not get a neater, more discreet installation.
If anybody reading this did the pyro installation in Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland, step forward and take a bow.

Not only is it neat and discreet, it is actually a pleasure to look at, such is the precision and attention to detail of the work.

No - came back on Saturday, and it was like a dream - no holdups anywhere, not even any slow-moving sections - never known anything like it, all the way from Seahouses to West London in under 6 hours (plus stops....)

Northbound was a nightmare though - passed several stationary queues 5 miles or more in length - one was nearly 10miles....

It took me 3+1/2 hours to do South Cumbria to Sunderland, just under 3 on the way back. The only holdup was at Durham where the A1(M?) was closed due to an accident, incidentally coming back I only saw 3 Westbound cars between Barnard Castle and Brough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back