Landing wont turn off unless it is turned off downstairs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while back i installed new light switches all over the house. Everything works fine except the hall/landing light.. EWhen i turn on the light at the top of the stairs from down stairs i can only turn it off downstairs. If it is turned off downstairs i can turn it off and on from the upstairs switch.

In each light fitting i have a yellow/green secured to the metal box fitting and 2 other cables with a red and a black in each cable...The double light switch upstairs also operates the bathroom light.

Can anyone shed any light on my problem. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yup. Two-way switching works by providing alternative paths for the current - what you've done is wire the two switches in what seems to be a parallel arrangement.

Read the post at the top of this forum, entitled 'For reference'. There are plenty of examples there. If you can't identify and fix your problem from those then at least you might be able to ask more specific questions later, which will help people sort out your problem.

since it only went wrong after you changed the switches, you have put the wires in the wrong place.

as you do not mention which colour goes where i can only suggest the following

remove downstairs switch, copy the switch connections for the landing light, the remaining 2 wires (not earth) should go in L1 & L2

you can see what i mean by looking in the sticky for refernce posts in UK electrics

wow that was quick..

will try out your suggestions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
ok here is how the wiring stands.

downstairs..

light for bottom of the stairs. 1..black
c..red works fine
2.. blank

bot switch for landing light 1.. blank
c..red
2.. black

there is a red wire bridging both c wire connections
----------------------------------------------------------

upstairs switchs

bathroom...1..black
c..red works fine
2..blank

landing light switch 1.red
c.red
2.black

hope this helps guys

OK, here we go..... i will do a pic aswell.

Downstairs, hall, leave as is, with red link rom C to C.

should be 2 other cables left, these go to L1 and L2 of upstairs switch.

On the upstairs switch, leave bathroom as is. C to a red in its own sheath. L1 and L2 to the the other two cables (either way)

Hope it helps...i will try to do a pic.

landing.gif

Circles represent the cable sheaths (outer cable part).

The red on its own may have a disused black (possibly chopped off), this isnt used.

Hope this works, let us know if not!

Sorted.. Followed your diagram and it's now working fine. No more having to run downstairs to turn the landing light off.

Cheers Lectrician :p

Lectrician said:
landing.gif

Circles represent the cable sheaths (outer cable part).

The red on its own may have a disused black (possibly chopped off), this isnt used.

Hope this works, let us know if not!

hello i have the same problem can you please show me the same diagram

As everyone wiring is different it may be better if you tell us how yours is wired, also start a new topic as this one is 2+ years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back