Spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I take a fcu off a ring then a socket off of that is it orite? Or am I beter jointing the cables?

Sponsored Links
Well the cable goes from a double skt to a single Box in the wall then to a double box in the wall.

I wouldn't be able to make it a single skt then a double skt eh?

without seeing it it's impossible to say..
is the double socket a spur?
does the FCU feed the double socket?
how many wires in the FCU and socket?

Sponsored Links
Bert, on a standard Ring Final Circuit you can only supply either one unfused spur[ which can also be a socket]. or you can supply unlimited outlets from a fused spur.

The double socket is part of a ring in one room. From that there's a cable going to a single box then from the single box there is a cable going to the 2nd double socket which is what is needed. so the single box has a supply spurd from the ring and an out going cable to the socket. So if I make that a fcu that's ok?

A single spur from a ring circuit in 2.5mm TE can handle 1 x double socket.

Adding on a 3 socket fitting could / will overload the circuit.

Best thing to do is to fit a 13A fused spur before the 1st socket to prevent overloading on the existing single socket and the 3 way socket you intend to fit.

So you will end up with a max load across the 4 socket outlets (1 +3) of 13A x 230v = 3000w (about!).

That's fine for light loads such as a digital TV, a lamp etc..

You will have limitations, so plugging in say electric heating, an iron, hair straightners isn't sensible.

The only way to avoid the load restriction is to open up the ring that the spur is fed from and make both the existing single socket and the new 3 way socket part of the ring.

You're wrong.

You're wrong.

Best thing to do is to fit a 13A fused spur before the 1st socket to prevent overloading on the existing single socket and the 3 way socket you intend to fit.
That's exactly what's he's already doing.

So you will end up with a max load across the 4 socket outlets (1 +3) of 13A x 230v = 3000w (about!).
There will be three sockets, not four.

It's also fine for heavy loads, such as a washing machine, tumble dryer, iron, or fan heater. In fact, anything that can be plugged into a socket.

You will have limitations, so plugging in say electric heating, an iron, hair straightners isn't sensible.
Why not? What do you think would happen?

The only way to avoid the load restriction is to open up the ring that the spur is fed from and make both the existing single socket and the new 3 way socket part of the ring.
There would still be a load restriction.

Hello Goldberg- How was your week ?

Picking holes seems to be your favourite activity, worse still you do so without anything other than the use of monosyllabic responses.

See comments against your remarks. Just for once please trying to avoid monosyllabic responses,

You're wrong.

So what can a single spur cable handle via 2.5mm TE
So what can a single fused spur handle via 2.5mm TE

:rolleyes:

You're wrong.

So you think a 13A fused spur with 1 x single and 1 x 3 socket fitting will cope with 4 items plugged in, all drawing 13A
:eek:

Thanks for the correction :rolleyes:

There will be three sockets, not four.

It's also fine for heavy loads, such as a washing machine, tumble dryer, iron, or fan heater. In fact, anything that can be plugged into a socket.

How do you get that ? The fused spur limits the total loading of all sockets beyond the spur to 13A, after that it's change spur fuse time.

If your going to contradict, please offer accuracy- ambiguity isn't helpfull.

You will have limitations, so plugging in say electric heating, an iron, hair straighteners isn't sensible.

Doh, lets guess :rolleyes:

But not at the 13A that the fused spur gives. Are you saying that the ring extension option wouldn't be better ?

So what can a single spur cable handle via 2.5mm TE
More than 13A. That's thir-teen Amp-eres, using multi-syllable nomenclature.

So what can a single fused spur handle via 2.5mm TE
13A (please see above for the remaining syllables).

So you think a 13A fused spur with 1 x single and 1 x 3 socket fitting will cope with 4 items plugged in, all drawing 13A
Of course - it will handle it by blowing the fuse.

Thanks for the correction :rolleyes:
You're welcome.

How do you get that ? The fused spur limits the total loading of all sockets beyond the spur to 13A, after that it's change spur fuse time.
Well then, change the fuse.

If your going to contradict, please offer accuracy- ambiguity isn't helpfull.
Please explain which of my contradictions was incorrect. Or ambiguous.

You will have limitations, so plugging in say electric heating, an iron, hair straighteners isn't sensible.
Doh, lets guess :rolleyes:
I have no need to guess - I know exactly what will happen.

But not at the 13A that the fused spur gives. Are you saying that the ring extension option wouldn't be better ?
I'm saying no such thing. Which one of my "monosyllables" confused you?

If I take a fcu off a ring then a socket off of that is it orite?
so the single box has a supply spurd from the ring and an out going cable to the socket. So if I make that a fcu that's ok?
Can I put a triple socket on instead of the new double socket?
So, he intended to fuse the spur, then run three sockets (or doubles) off that.

No problem. Until this:

I pointed out that this is exactly what bertken is already doing.

You can list all of the things he's not doing, and point out which ones are illegal or unsafe, but it would be irrelevant because he's not doing them or planning to do them.

in the absense of you explaining WHY he's wrong, then your coment of "you're wrong" to a stateent that is categorically true, then it it you that is wrong.. no matter how you try and spin it.

the comment that "A single spur from a ring circuit in 2.5mm TE can handle 1 x double socket." is absolutely correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back