Please Help - Glow Worm 24ci Boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Im really hoping someone can offer me some advice on the problems i have. I'm getting a little worried about this!

Im renting a house that has the above mentioned boiler installed. Recently the Pressure dropped down to 0.4 bar so as it says to on the front of the boiler to open the filling tap and let it pressurise upto 1 bar which i did.

Since re-pressurising the boiler it has started to leak from underneath towards the back - it seemed to leak around a pint during the day or night.

I've spoken to my landlord and he said the boiler does this for a day or 2 after repressurising but after a week went by i decided to speak to him again and he advised to allow more pressure into the boiler to 3 bar - i thought this seemed a bit much considering the front panel says to 1 bar only.. i went upto 2 bar and the leak has now got a lot worse..maybe 3-4 pints per day/night now.

After a couple of days of this the Boiler is now not staying on - it stays on for anywhere between a few seconds to half an hour at the most. No error codes - just seems like the power is cut - absolutely nothing on the display or the power lights.

A little more concerned I decided to bleed the pressure out via one of the radiators - i removed about 10 pints of water from the Radiator and could see that the pressure is back down to 1 bar. The leaking seemed to slow a bit.

But the Boiler is still not staying on and often will not switch on at all....

I've taken the front panel off to attempt to see where the leaking is coming from, there was water dripping off the centre of the sealed metal chamber (i dried these off and checked 5 minutes later there were more drops hanging in the centre just in front of a single pipe that goes into the sealed chamber and i can often hear a faint squirting sound but i cannot locate where its coming from. Access to the boiler is very difficult as its in a cupboard above the corner of worktops...

Just underneath the metal chamber a little to the left there are 2 Vertical openings on top of a black unit that have water sitting the top of them - im sorry i cant be any more precise with descriptions i have no idea what the bits are called in these things!

I can take some photo's if it helps anyone.

Just to add that when it does switch on it is working perfectly (except for the leaking!) i did manage to have a shower this morning!

Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Slightly worrying - Paul

Sponsored Links
get onto your landlord and tell the tightwad to get his money out and pay for it to be repaired. The advice he gave you was wrong and pointless, just trying to put you off complaining about it.
As for the problem I can't work out what your saying is leaking. Pictures will help.

Thanks for the reply - i guess if its not fixable which i dont think it is - then he's got no choice to get it fixed.

Heres the pictures :-

Here's the black thing that has water in the top (theres like 2 holes in the top of it, a few mils of water in the rear one and around 2cm of water in the near one) :-

DSC00041.jpg

Here's the bottom of the Metal chamber where the water drops gather :-

DSC00042.jpg

And here's where the boiler is located - difficult to reach and see whats going off :(

DSC00044.jpg

Whatever the pictures show you should never try to repair a landlords boiler.

It was totally reasonable what the landlord told you at first but the later part was just stupid!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks - i had no intention of going to attempt any repairs - i'd have no idea where to begin in there. I was just hoping to get a bit of insight into what the problem was and if it was something that was just a simple bit of 'general' maintenance that i could have done myself but i guess not!

I would also say that the way the boiler has been installed does not allow adequate access for maintenance and testing either.

The leak should be completely fixable as all those plastic bits just connect up with each other.

Tony

Do you have a current Landlords Gas Safey Certificate???
If not Ask the landlord to arrange for a safety inspection and certification at the same time (it's a legal requirement) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back