Electric shower not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower had been acting up recently and my fuses were blowing more and more frequently so i have recently had the fuse box replaced and the shower stopped working at all!

replaced the shower and still not working ... the shower is 8.5kw and the fuse is a 40am Wylex not too sure about the wire width although it is pretty thick - any ideas what the problem is?

Sponsored Links
My shower had been acting up recently and my fuses were blowing more and more frequently so i have recently had the fuse box replaced and the shower stopped working at all!

replaced the shower and still not working ... the shower is 8.5kw and the fuse is a 40am Wylex not too sure about the wire width although it is pretty thick - any ideas what the problem is?

Who replaced the fuse box? (Not his/her name - was he a qualified electrician?)
What tests did s/he do?
What do the test results say?
Did the person who replaced the fuse box highlight any problems with the shower circuit?
Have you had a look at the isolator?

I bet there's a huge blob of melted plastic at the back of the isolator :eek:

Sponsored Links
It was a "qualified" spark who replaced the fuse box. He said some of the wiring at the back isolater had slightly melted - he replaced the wiring and new isolater switch and there is electricity running to the isolater as it is lighting up. He suggested that the shower was faulty.

The plumber who fitted the new shower asked another spark and he has suggested that there might a problem with the wiring from the fuse box.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated!!!

surely one of these dimwits can check if the supply/cable to the shower is faulty. :rolleyes:

Any help or suggestions much appreciated!!!

Find an electrician who knows what he's doing. Which scheme was your last 'electrician' registered with? Just because it's lighting up doesn't mean it's safe. The 'electrician' who replaced your fusebox should have conducted tests which would have shown up any problems with the wiring. Did he leave you with any paperwork with test results on it?

Thanks all ... no paper work with the new fuse box, what is the best way to test the feed to the isolater switch?

If there is a problem with the cable from the fuse box to the isolater what is the best test to find out?

Thanks all ... no paper work with the new fuse box, what is the best way to test the feed to the isolater switch?

If there is a problem with the cable from the fuse box to the isolater what is the best test to find out?

Did he do any tests or just swap the fusebox, replace your isolator and ride off on his horse?

The tests that need doing are something for a qualified electrician to determine. Continuity would be a could start, though.

Out of interest, how much did you pay to have your fusebox replaced?

I wasnt at the house when he was working he siad that the problem was with the shower since getting that replcaed another spark has said it is probably the cable from the fuse box - is this likely?

Paid the guy £150, what is the best way to test the continuity / get to the bottom of this?

This sounds more like a diy job than a qualified sparks.
as your post in the plumbing also states your boiler not working since the fusebox was changed.

I wasnt at the house when he was working he siad that the problem was with the shower since getting that replcaed another spark has said it is probably the cable from the fuse box - is this likely?

Paid the guy £150, what is the best way to test the continuity / get to the bottom of this?

Firstly, ignore anything & everything that the cowboy who replaced your fusebox said.

Secondly, the fault could be anywhere, which is why you need an electrician to come in, test it & find the cause. Until then I suggest (and would hope you already have done) that you switch off the circuit breaker that protects your shower. To test continuity you need test equipment which an electrician will have.

Any chance we could have a picture of your fusebox? Nothing specific, just a picture of it, preferably with the flap (the door that flips up & down so that you can get to the breakers to switch them off/reset them) open.

The fuse box was from Screwifx and is a pretty standard Wylex one. Well spotted seco services - any idea what the root problem might be?

not without seeing what has been done.
as said you need the install checked.

Cowboy.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back