Sideways Mounted CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve was talking to someone at work about some electrical work he’s had done in his house recently. Part of this involved a replacement CU. He told me the electrician didn’t have space to mount it the normal way, so has mounted sideways in the cupboard. This sounds very strange to me as I have never seen this done before.

I’m concerned as to the operation of the MCBs and RCD mounted this way. I don’t have the make or models at the moment. He is going to find out so that I can find some info on them.

I know that most industrial/3phase boards have their MCBs mounted in this direction, but they would have been designed that way.

What do people think about this? Has anyone ever mounted a CU sideways?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it would cause any other problems other than the lid opening properly, etc, but it doesn't look good and is cowboy-ish IMHO (though if there is no other option*...)

*though you could use a switchfuse in that location (they arn't too wide) and run 25mm² to the CU located elsewhere

Having spoken to Wylex tech about this before, they say there is no detrimental effect to the operation of the devices - you could even mount it upside down...

The same with BA control panels. I have fitted (yonks ago) the old ADE Technic keyswitch panel which is mounted vertically, meaning the battery is on its side, but it is sealed so it's OK.

MCBs used in 3 phase boards are the same as single phase boards (apart from 3ph breakers dont go in a single CU, but the single breakers are the same)

Sponsored Links
confusion to anyone operating the isolator/mcbs what about in an emergency?

ebee said:
confusion to anyone operating the isolator/mcbs
generally they are pretty clearly labeled. upside down would probablly be worse than sideways in this regard though.

ebee said:
what about in an emergency?
shouldn't emergency switching be handled by local isolating switches?

The orientation of an mcb has no effect on it's operation. ;)

You CANNOT mount a CU sideways, this was confirmed to me by the ELECSA technical helpline and is not to do with the operation of devices but because the main switch would become side-to-side operation as opposed to up-down operation as would be found in all correctly mounted boards, commercial/industrial/domestic.

Readonly, your aquaintance at work appears to have done wrong!

You CANNOT mount a CU sideways, this was confirmed to me by the ELECSA technical helpline and is not to do with the operation of devices but because the main switch would become side-to-side operation as opposed to up-down operation as would be found in all correctly mounted boards, commercial/industrial/domestic.
Did they actually give a reg that it contravened?

I agree with this one too.

Anyone operating the Mainswitch and the MCBs should be able to so .
It must be unambigious for an ordinary person to use for safety.

For a skilled or an instructed person it might be less of an issue

But its not a reg otherwise those "plug in" (minitrip) cbs for old Wylex boards should be outlawed.

The old main switch on those boards is down to turn the board ON yet the switches on the minitrips are up to be on. :rolleyes:

Plugwash, no, they didn't tell me that, I wasn't actuallly that interested, if my scheme provider tells me its a no-no then thats good enough for me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back