cooker socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to install my cooker socket below the worktop but behind the base unit (rear cover of base unit stripped out). To isolate the cooker you would then open the base door and switch off the socket. Is there anything wrong with this? the cooker circuit is protected by a rcd.

regards

scott

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't advise you do it like this, you really need to have some means of readily accessable isolation in case of emergency. Can you fit a DP switch above the work surface (not behind the cooker though) to kill the supply this socket? What type of cooker are you talking about?

Why do so many people have this obsession with hiding sockets and switches away?

ban-all-sheds said:
Why do so many people have this obsession with hiding sockets and switches away?
i dont understand it either, you can get some very attractive metallic finish sockets and switches and other accessories. One look in the screwfix catalogue will tell you this! And B&Q also have a very good selection of sockets and switches, just dont take advice off their staff.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:

I used to work for a guy selling TOTR kitchens where 50K on a kitchen was not unusual.

When you pay 50K, you don't want switches cluttering up the splashbacks.

Imagine a run of tiles. Now imagine the same run broken up with switches that need not be there.

We even used to fit appliance cupboards with sockets inside them so they could be concealed too.

The difference was we used to make ours more accessible than in a base unit...

Everybody, whether they are spending £500 or £50,000 on a new kitchen needs to repeat the following until they have got it into their thick, pathetic and pretentious heads.

A kitchen is a place of work.

etc

The oven is an electric hotpoint (the hob will be gas). The thing is I will still have a means of isolation albeit behind a base door. You are probably talking about a second longer to open the base door and isolate it. My main concern is the regs, is there anything in the regs that say you can't fit a n isolating cooker socket behind an acccessible base door?

regards

scott

The question is, if your oven is going up in smoke are you going to start moving tins of beans and looking for the switch? What if you are not in? I think common sense has to over-rule on this one.

if you MUST, put the switch JUST inside the door, right at the front. But it is not "readily accessible" according to the regs.

Scott - a kitchen is a place of work, it doesn't matter if you can see a switch
a kitchen is a place of work, it doesn't matter if you can see a switch

crafty1289 said:
if you MUST, put the switch JUST inside the door, right at the front. But it is not "readily accessible" according to the regs.

Building Regs now advise against the installation of electrical accessories on any other surface than the fabric of the building.

crafty1289 said:
i dont understand it either, you can get some very attractive metallic finish sockets and switches and other accessories.

Especially the brass ones with the rope effect.

I also like cod in butter sauce.

And Posh Pot Noodles.

Do you?

Kind of related:

I just got a new kitchen from Ikea and they also installed it - well a sub contractor did.

I tried to keep out of their way most of the time but noticed they changed my old cooker switch (massive red switch on it) to what looked like a normal 2 gang socket. They then plugged the new fitted oven and hob into this.

I never thought it might be against any regulations until I just read this - is it a requirement to have an isolator switch above the worktop?

I did find some of the other things they did a bit weird which I will mention when I give them a call on Monday - should I bring this up too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back