Aerial Amplifier as part of a lighting ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two questions really:

- I have read that I can add a TV aerial amplifier to a lighting ring. Is this true? The lighting ring runs from B6 in the fuse box and the amplifier has a 3amp fuse at the moment. So would I be able to cut the plug off the amplifier and wire it into the lighting ring? Any problems with the 3amp fuse requirement in the amplifier vs the power in the lighting ring?

- Assuming the above is possible then it will have to go in the loft. There is a ceiling rose just next to the hatch (for the room below) with 2 wires coming out of it. One for the switch and one for the power. Am I right in thinking I can splice the power cable and add the amplifier here. I dont want the light switch to switch the amplifier off too.

Any other problems or issues you can forsee?

If it helps the electrics are brand new (persimmon house built in 2006)

Sponsored Links
As the amplifier will only wake a few watts there is no problem with running it from a lighting circuit, personally I'd prefer to connect it using a fused spur unit with a 3A fuse. If there are only 2 cables in the ceiling rose (assuming a loop in one) you should be enough room to connect another cable into it and use this as the supply to the fused spur unit.

For my Distribution amp ive spured off the lighting circuit and wired into a Switched fused spur fitting a 3amp fuse. Its also a good idea to label up at the consumer unit that the upstairs lighting circuit powers the tv amp in the loft.

Aerial guys no longer tamper with the 240v gear, and manufacturers have come out with a solution for them.

The booster in the loft (or up on the aerial pole outside) requires no 240v feed, it instead recieves its power via the output coax (or just one of them if it is a multi-way amp). You then fit a plug-in box behind the main TV and put this in line with the coax from the wall to TV - this box sends the 12Vdc up the coax to the booster at the same time as the signal being sent down.

It is much easier for aerial guys to fit, but the only draw back is when people move house. They ALWAYS take the power supply from behind the TV believing it to be a booster (when it is just a power supply!). The new occupier then wonders why they have no reception! See this soooo often in my area where TV reception can be a problem, and these boosters have been fitted up as close to the aerial as possible. Maybe they should fix the PSU to the wall!

Other than that, a 3amp Fused Connection Unit directly from a ceiling rose will be fine ;)

Sponsored Links
What would you do with an TV aerial booster/splitter in the loft that has a moulded plug-top power unit ?
Is it permissible to run a 13A socket through, say, a 3A FCU off the lighting circuit to plug in the power supply?

indeed, as long as the spur is suitably fused of course :)

tbh i dont think there would be any problem with just using a socket off the lighting circiuit if the fuse in the plugtop was rated accordingly.

ELZ4742 said:
indeed, as long as the spur is suitably fused of course :)

tbh i dont think there would be any problem with just using a socket off the lighting circiuit if the fuse in the plugtop was rated accordingly.

It is highly fround upon.

Why feed the socket with a 3amp FCU?? The plugtop has a fuse for protection. The FCU is used when the plug is chopped off, so no fuse.

Theoretically, if the socket is ever overloaded the lighting circuit fuse/mcb will operate anyway.....but still a really bodgy way of wiring something.

highly fround upon? bodgy?

Why feed the socket with a 3amp FCU
i miss read the post, didnt realise it was a spur and a socket.

you said it yourself, if the circuits correctly fused theres no reason at all that a socket cannot be used on a 6a circuit, you show me a reg where it says a socket should be wired in a 2.5mm :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back