The connection between the outside BT line and the inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a second line fitted by BT, it comes through the outside wall at the first floor level and there's a BT box on the inside wall, on the inside wall there's a small BT box, inside that there's two wire connections inside orange circular blocks with a small metal block where the wires are pressed between metal teeth

I've disconnected that to pull the cable back outside so I can run it into the house at the gound floor level to have that line running to that floor

Sadly the original connection don't seem very reusable, they were glued I think

Is the standard B&Q going to sell a box of some kind that will let me connect the outside cable to the inside cable?

Stuck at home today and starting to worry slightly that I shouldn't have touched the initial connection

thanks

Sponsored Links
You describe IDC 'jellies'.

These are crimped shut with parallel pliers, and are filled with a protoleum jelly to keep out moisture.

They come in bags of hundreds.....you will struggle to find just 2! Ebay for some.

Your right, you shouldn't have touched it, but it's done now!

I can list some on ebay if you want.

thank-you

100 you say? yuk yuk

seems very dramtic for an indoor connection, if that what I have to use? or would something simpler suffice if it's an indoor connection?

I suspected I shouldn't but the box was in such an unhelpful position, my dad did suggest running the wire back out again and then back in again at the ground floor, in hindsight ...

thanks again for the prompt and helpful reply

ooh and I'd be grateful for some ebay listings, a quick look hasn't got me far at all and I think it's quite clear I'm well out of my comfort zone

Sponsored Links
is a choc block those white plastic things with screws in for joining electrical wires up if I've run out of electrical tape and am feeling professional?

if that's good enough, that's brill

lookinn said:
Just solder them or use a choc block. They are known as crimps
Neither soldering nor using choc blocks is known as crimping. :confused:

To crimp you needs crimps and a crimping tool. Then you can crimp some crimped joints. With crimpers.

I think his crimps remark referred to my original question as to the orange round things

I'm going with these choc blocks unless someone says otherwise

tynan said:
I think his crimps remark referred to my original question as to the orange round things

I'm going with these choc blocks unless someone says otherwise
Ah yes - I see your point. Apologies.

Choc blocks - good plan.

If you give me your email, I will send some for a small paypal payment.

thank-you

choc blocks are going to be very available and easy for a handless clown like me to use aren't they?

they are the bog standard connectors for electrical wiring aren't they?

or are you saying I should use these jelly things? they looked a bit fiddly to me?

If there is any chance of damp on the joint the gel filled IDC or crimp connectors are essential.

Ordinary choc blocks should NOT be used as the small diameter of the conductor means either the screw misses the wire or after a while the joint fails. There are choc blocks that have a metal tongur between the screw and the wire and these should be used if you have to use a choc block

tynan said:
choc blocks are going to be very available and easy for a handless clown like me to use aren't they?
Both.

they are the bog standard connectors for electrical wiring aren't they?
NO!

Again, NO!

They're OK (ish) for data cabling, but NOT for power. Telephone is borderline, but inside the house they should be reliable enough.

right, I think

choc blokes with the tongues it is then I think

I'm all for the gel things but they looked fiddly, I couldn't see how the phone wires plus insulation were supposed to fit into the tiny gaps between the metal teeth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back