Telephone extension

biblio said:
lightening? surely there is no real risk from a strike if you do not have a proper master socket!

you do not need a direct hit, you can also get induced voltages, which can be just as bad

Sponsored Links
biblio said:
plugwash: thanks for the useful images, so master sockets are physically different. (If you are not supposed to connect to the back of non-NTE5 master, why are there connectors?)
well the master and extention sockets are basically the same design
the only difference is the extention sockets doesn't have the capacitor resistor and surge arrester soldered in.

biblio said:
raychem: I do not have a master socket because the drop comes in to the roof. Junction boxes are used already to suply two separate lines (only two cores are needeed for each line).

by two seperate lines do you mean two totally seperate lines from the excahnge with thier own numbers etc?

if so each line will have its own master socket

the issue with starting from the junction box is the ringer core
you either have to use a second master socket to provide this at your new socket (which can cause issues when they test the line as described above) or you have to modify the wiring to take the ringer from the existing master socket back to the junction box so you can take it to your new socket

finally before you change ANYTHING record where the wires are connected to at the moment so in the worst case you at least know how to put it back

Thanks, yes I always make a layout sketch before undoing anything and keep them all!
There are two different telephone numbers. The drop has 4 conducting cores; plain colours of black, green, orange and white. These go to a 4-way terminal block (BT52A). Here the 4-core meets a 6-core (internal cable with prettier colours) Black meets, orange (flecked with white). Green meets, white (flecked with orange). Orange meets, blue (flecked with white). White meets, white (flecked with blue). Straight connections, machine screws, clock-wise loop under pan head, plenty slack in wire leading to screw so as not to copy violin tuner and snap wire at neck. This 6-core goes over roof to another 6-way terminal block (BT35A). Green (flecked with white), and white (flecked with green), are both left behind without partners - spare. like little piggy-tails. This is where the cores divide strategically into two pairs to supply each phone number. The first pair, originally black and green, connect to only two of the total of six available in line A. The four others are left piggy-tail-ended in the block. All six are probably connected inside of the ordinary extension socket A.
Line B has two extensions supplied from only two original cores, orange and white. Each one of this pair has two similar cores pairs connected together under a screw head. One for each extension. There are now four spare pairs (from the two 6-core internal cables for Bi and Bii). These are screwed down together in four respective pairs, using little linking double-ended metal y's, but un-extended. These two internal cables are eventually connected to two ordinary sockets Bi, Bii (as at A). Hard wired junction box stuff. No master sockets. No lightning yet.

Hey, that was great!

I changed my ID to Breezer and answered that question all without touching the KB.......!

Sponsored Links
biblio said:
Thanks, yes I always make a layout sketch before undoing anything and keep them all!
There are two different telephone numbers. The drop has 4 conducting cores; plain colours of black, green, orange and white. These go to a 4-way terminal block (BT52A).
ok so we have two phone lines entering each with a pair of wires

biblio said:
Here the 4-core meets a 6-core (internal cable with prettier colours) Black meets, orange (flecked with white). Green meets, white (flecked with orange). Orange meets, blue (flecked with white). White meets, white (flecked with blue). Straight connections, machine screws, clock-wise loop under pan head, plenty slack in wire leading to screw so as not to copy violin tuner and snap wire at neck.
with you so far

This 6-core goes over roof to another 6-way terminal block (BT35A). Green (flecked with white), and white (flecked with green), are both left behind without partners - spare. like little piggy-tails. This is where the cores divide strategically into two pairs to supply each phone number. The first pair, originally black and green, connect to only two of the total of six available in line A. The four others are left piggy-tail-ended in the block. All six are probably connected inside of the ordinary extension socket A.
[/quote]
are you positive that the socket you mention isn't a master socket (get us a photo of the back if you are unsure you can't tell the difference from the outside)

biblio said:
Line B has two extensions supplied from only two original cores, orange and white. Each one of this pair has two similar cores pairs connected together under a screw head. One for each extension. There are now four spare pairs (from the two 6-core internal cables for Bi and Bii). These are screwed down together in four respective pairs, using little linking double-ended metal y's, but un-extended. These two internal cables are eventually connected to two ordinary sockets Bi, Bii (as at A).
at least one of Bi and Bii must be a master (open them up and check)

which line is it you want to add a new socket to?

which wires go to which terminals in A?

raychem, plugwash:
my humble apologies; I think I must have the non-NTE5 master sockets I didn't take off the fronts; presumptious error. (Thanks plugwash).

plugwash asked:
'at least one of Bi and Bii must be a master (open them up and check)'
Yes. One does have the non-NTE5 (according to your useful image - of earlier posting).

'which line is it you want to add a new socket to?'
The single pair, called A.

'which wires go to which terminals in A?'
The blue set. Connected to 2 and 5 gates. The four others cores are group piggy-tailed and loose.

I am impressed by your patience, plugwash. (I'm going to put the kettle on...)

i presume socket A is also a non nte5 master

if you want to run your extention from the junction box then you need to use one of the spare cores in the line from the junction box to A to take the ringer line (pin 3) back to your junction box location

then from there you can double up on the main cores leading to A and link the ringer through to your new cable

plugwash:
Yes, A is non-NTE5 master (not ordinary socket, but the BT linesman must have swapped it, honest!)

Many thanks indeed for the economical description for wiring in the extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back