Telephone extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My BT drop line terminates inside my roof space to a block terminal (BT52A). this a 4-core junction box with screws. Phone cable then extends from here to another 6-way (BT35A) junction box in a more suitable place for distribution. Does anyone know if I can extend to new jack by using the junction box? There are some small metal linking straps unused in the 6-way box.

Sponsored Links
technically you aren't supposed to touch anything before the master socket

in practice BT are extremely unlikely to care unless you try to call them out to fix your f*ckups

if you do tap off before the master socket though make sure that the ringer core connects between the two sockets

Plugwash is correct about BT not bothered.The problems, moneywise ,start when you call them out for a fault on your line.Regarding the ringing cct ,if you use master sockets through out the system you can use the two wires[A and B legs].Again like Pugwash says you technically should not alter anything before the master socket.

If you use too many master sockets on a line, the test results stores by BT duringa 17070 test, or an engineer tst will show the line as being longer than as is.

This has buggered up several Broadband applications that I know off, and I would expect would also upset any other line faults.

Stick to the rulse, all extensions connected to the master.

Sponsored Links
on the other hand i've heared bt themselves fit multiple masters sometimes

and ofc there is nothing to stop you moving the master further back

If the drop to pmaser is done is 3 pair...as per BT spec, you have 2 spair pairs.....use these as the secondary...No extra masters needed, no extra cabling than if you where to use masters.....and a more 'complient' install.

Using two wires, with master sockets as extension sockets, was an easy option when the wiring between extension sockets was damaged and only two wires were left in the cable.Not good practice but saved a lot of sweat running new cable and a lot of engineers took the easy option.

Thanks, raychem, Lectrician, plugwash.

I don't think I've got a single master socket as such. I just have these two terminal blocks, fitted over twenty years ago. So would the first phone socket technically be the master, or is the master different physically than other sockets?

I wondered if I could use the block like a junction box, to double-up; keeping like with like. The phone socket itself is more difficult to extend.

Biblio,you really do not want to be messing with these block terminals,they are old style BT terminals that were originally for use with old type hard wired dial type phones.Have you got a modern plug in telephone,if so ,trace the wire from the roof space to the first plug in socket,in theory this should be your master socket with a removable front section held on with two screws.You run any extensions from this front section that has got a connection strip on it for this purpose,this then allows you to separate your own wiring from BT's then in the event of a fault on the line it can be proved either way.

You should not tap off anything before the Master because then it won't benefit from the lightning protection given by the master socket.

AFAIK, it is OK to use masters elsewhere. I have been using masters where only two usable cores are present (as do BT - indeed a BT engineer gave me the tip!!) as you can get a ringing phone without a third connection this way.

older masters dont have those bottom sections only the modern NTE5 ones do

if they don't then you are only supposed to use plug in extentions but those look **** so a lot of people just connect to the back anyway and the worst i've heared of BT doing in this case is pulling out the extention wiring

this is a NTE5
nte5ext.jpg
nteback.jpg

this is a normal extention
bt_slave_skt2.jpg

this is a non NTE5 master
LJU2_1A_rear.jpg

the latter two will look identical from the outside

in this next picutre we see what is inside a master
a_Phone_wiring_cct_diagram.gif

in the case of a non nte5 master there will only be terminals labeled with numbers the A and B refer to the seperate terminals that are on the rear section of the NTE5

the surge suppressor is of no interest in the normal functioning of the line
the capacitor provides the ringing signal on pin 3 which is linked to all extentions

if it is impractical to get a third wire to an extention (perhaps due to damaged cable) then a second master can be used to get a ringing signal for the extention but this is considered bad practice unless unaviodable (see below for why)

the resistor is for test perposes and this is why putting in multiple masters can confuse the line testing equipment. if there are multiple masters (though you could clip it out of the second master socket)

btw pins 1 4 and 6 serve no perpose in a normal install 4 is usually connected for neatness though as 4 core cable is often used. in some cases you may even see wiring with all 6 connected

plugwash said:
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/a_Phone_wiring_cct_diagram.gif
Blimey - a transparent GIF file - did you do that? I can never be @rsed, even though they often look better. OOI - what tool did you use?

nope its not mine

the pictures are from diferent sources depending on which i thought best illastrated the point (specially i picked the non-nte5 master and the extention socket to be the most similar pair i could find so that i didn't give the impression you could tell them apart from the outside)

plugwash: thanks for the useful images, so master sockets are physically different. (If you are not supposed to connect to the back of non-NTE5 master, why are there connectors?)

raychem: I do not have a master socket because the drop comes in to the roof. Junction boxes are used already to suply two separate lines (only two cores are needeed for each line). In a 6-way BT35A box surely you can double-up on the pair by using those little metal 'wide-m's provided. Yes it's hard-wired, but so is the most of the BT system. The telegraph pole was once a living tree too.

securespark:
lightening? surely there is no real risk from a strike if you do not have a proper master socket!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back