Ideal Classic FF240: Tripping electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My Ideal Classic has just started to trip the mains when switched on, any ideas ?
Cheers,
Steve.

Sponsored Links
First suspect would be the fan. You could try isolating the pump on your system as well. This could appear to be a boiler fault ;)

You don't say so, but I think you mean the RCD, which detects electrical faults to earth. these are often caused by water mixing with electricity.

I know nothing about boilers, but if gas4you hasn't spotted it, look for a water leak causing an electrical fault to earth. Might be dripping inside the casing onto a circuit board or connector, might be water getting into the electrics of the pump.

Presumably your boiler has an FCU (fused switch) and if you turn that off, the tripping stops?

If it's a fault inside the boiler, you will need a Corgi to fix it. If it's a simple dripping pipe you may be able to fix it yoursef.

Wow, fast replies. Just checked the Pump, there’s a white box above the pump, with WMH on it, is this a diverter? has a wire going into it, there appears to have been a leak, streak of brown/black solidified substance. Might this be the problem?

pump.JPG

Sponsored Links
Are you comfortable with working on electrics? If so disconnect pump L & N and isolate to make safe. Turn on heating. Does it still trip. If so not pump ;)

gas4you said:
Are you comfortable with working on electrics? If so disconnect pump L & N and isolate to make safe. Turn on heating. Does it still trip. If so not pump ;)

Im not :oops:, but my Dad is :) will check it out tomorrow.
Cheers,
Steve.

dont bother its is defo going to be the pump, they dont like water

change it

and the dribbling spindles on that electric valve... may be possible to tighten the glands... and perhaps put an umbrella over the pump's electrics box (on the side) to stop drips gettting in again.

JohnD said:
and the dribbling spindles on that electric valve... may be possible to tighten the glands... and perhaps put an umbrella over the pump's electrics box (on the side) to stop drips gettting in again.

look at the pic

its the acl lifestyle vale that is leaking NO packing gland to tighten

that will need changing too

Cheers guys, change the diverter valve, its a honeywell, all ok now. Only thing is the honeywell valve is "rattling", is this normal ?

mmm

as chris says that aint right. sure it aint the pump?

Iget a bit of solder in the pump and it will rattle like a wotsits

:)

Hmm, had another listen, sounds like the pump, could it be air in it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back