smoking ban

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just seen an advert regarding the no smoking law starting on july the 1st, there's one thing that got my attention was the law that said there's no smoking in an works van :eek: has anyone any more imfo regarding that.

Sponsored Links
I believe if you as the owner/driver are the only person to use the van then you can smoke.
If the van is used by more than one person then it's classified as a work place and smoking is banned.

Found this, and I quote...

"Will the ban affect company vehicles?
Yes, if the vehicle is used by more than one employee.
The no smoking sign must:
Be at least 75mm in diameter.
Display the international no smoking symbol.

The only exception to this rule is if the vehicle is a cabriolet and the roof is always down!"

Paper Spark said:
I believe if you as the owner/driver are the only person to use the van then you can smoke.
If the van is used by more than one person then it's classified as a work place and smoking is banned.

If thats the case then that sucks :( when in the van theres me and 1 other, he does not smoke, but I have the window down ( not that he's bothered ) but what the score if we both smoke, has one got to get out of the van and have a tab to abide by the law :confused: what a fooked up law :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I don't see how on earth they can ever enforce that, unless someone who is present with you in the van complains.

trazor said:
Found this, and I quote...

"Will the ban affect company vehicles?
Yes, if the vehicle is used by more than one employee.
The no smoking sign must:
Be at least 75mm in diameter.
Display the international no smoking symbol.

The only exception to this rule is if the vehicle is a cabriolet and the roof is always down!"

I cant see that law work much, for a start your work mate not going to phone the cops if you have a fag, and would the cops pull you over for the sake of having a tab.

markie said:
I cant see that law work much, for a start your work mate not going to phone the cops if you have a fag, and would the cops pull you over for the sake of having a tab.
Not yet, but the way things are going it'll soon be an offence to smoke while driving anyway in the same way as using a mobile phone.. then they will.

Apparently our smoking shelters at work are going too because they have more than 50% walls. What a fantastic impression of the company it'll give seeing us all stood out on the road in front of the building... :evil:

Indeed. We are now the outcasts of society!

Anyway, must get to bed, was very good tonight and didn't go out but have accidentally drunk half a crate of lager anyway and i'm working tomorrow and monday... double bubble, lovely jubbly! :LOL:

One more thing whats the score when your driving your car and there's more than you in the car, is that classed as being in an public place ?

20,000%20Cheers%20for%20the%20Chain%20Gang%20(1933)%20Snappy.jpg

;)

markie said:
One more thing whats the score when your driving your car and there's more than you in the car, is that classed as being in an public place ?
No. Your car, your rules - same as your house.

Although - they now say that if you have, for example, a carer - and your house is their "place of work", you can't smoke for a certain amount of time before they come round (can't remember how long)... so perhaps if you're taking your car for an MOT or whatever, make sure the mechanic is a smoker!

But I say again, how the hell can they prove any of this? It's absurd.

A customer spent New Year in Scotland where the no smoking ban is currently in force. According to the person she was staying with, if you had workers visiting you could not smoke for two hours prior to their visit. The whole world is going mad. Never mind, we'll all soon be so taxed to the hilt we'll just be handing our pay cheques over to the government.

ninebob said:
...the way things are going it'll soon be an offence to smoke while driving anyway in the same way as using a mobile phone..
I bleeding well hope so - when I see a car dawdling, or wavering, or drifting across a lane, as a result of not concentrating, it turns out more often than not that the driver is either on the phone or smoking.

Sponsored Links
Back