SMOKING BANNED

Sponsored Links
We are a members club - as far as I was aware the ban didnt apply to these clubs? Tell me I am right - please!

You used to be able to smoke in cinemas, university lecture halls and the London Underground, but you can't now. Everyone is used to it. Everyone will soon get used to the fact that you can't do it in pubs.

again....not there. But here, I don't know if you can smoke in a bar or not.
In some states, you can't smoke in restaurants. where I am there are sections for smoking/non smoking....but that will change shortly. There is no smoking in all govt buildings, most business-n/s (except maybe smoke shops), none in public transportation. Where I work, I think they'll probably in near future make it no smoking on campus-right now we huddle in the rain and snow. I happen to think it is a good and healthy thing (not to smoke).....but why do I smoke? Habit and addiction.....I crave cigs more than coffee. And I don't try and defend it because non smokers are right and I'm wrong, but for right now....it is my choice. :confused:

Sponsored Links
69er

the ban is def for members clubs
I was watching local news tonight and the members of the working mans club were a bit p#ssed off to say the least.

oh hell :cry: Wollie hat and gloves it is. ps - how can the govt dictate what rules a club (who ownes the propety etc) can and can not do? Next they will make it illegal to smoke in your house?

Yes, they would have organised a protest but none of them had the energy.

markie said:
What about the sickos, praying on young girls, say for example two girls both smoke go outside for a tab, will they finish there drinks first or leave them, then go back inside to drink them.
If they left them there drinks might of be spiked by some sicko, and we know the out come of that.

When the whole rohypnol etc. stuff started happening, girls learned to be more careful about what they do with their drinks.

Perhaps this will convince teenage girls to NOT smoke.

Why do people take up smoking? Peer pressure. What are drunk people? Suggestable. How many stupid ideas have you agreed to when drunk? So, with no smoking in bars, that removes one avenue for people to start.

All we need is a nation-wide, fair system to prevent smokers getting all those extra breaks. I know one large corporation based near mine has a "clocking-out" policy for smoking breaks!

Brightness said:
dg123 said:
Do I detect some opposition to the HoL?

LOL not at all, but it amazes me how much money has to be spent on getting a law passed. I mean how many 'readings does it take? Surely it should take one sitting where they all vote yay or nay and be done with it!

Same goes for any law - look how long the hunting ban took to come into place :rolleyes:

Laws need to be examined for content and effect so it takes time to ensure they are workable and enforceable. Look at the laws which have been rushed through then have to be re-worked as they are full of holes, better to get it right first - the other thing is there are other laws being introduced / emended (without so much publicity) so there is a queue (a cynic might think that this is a good time for the government to pass these whilst hidden beneath the furore of the smoking law).

I agree with AdamW's point that smoking is not pleasurable - I am amazed as to why people do it. I tried it many years ago and once was enough to put me off.

paulbrown said:
It would surely have been more preferable to give the management the option of whether the pub is smoking or not. I don't mean separate rooms etc within the pub or club, I mean it is either full smoking or non smoking. A simple sign outside would tell potential customers and give freedom of choice.
This would inevitably put some pubs out of business - the total ban puts them all on a level playing field.

keyplayer said:
Yes, they would have organised a protest but none of them had the energy.
:LOL: :LOL: nice one :LOL: :LOL:

Those pro-smoking groups - what a bunch of thick idiots! The excuses - sorry, reasons - they come out with - what a huge joke they are!

The overall idea of the ban is to remove the image of pubs being full of smoke, and the idea some young people have of thinking smoking is an "adult" and "grown up" thing to be doing. Also to make the nation fitter and healthier - people will be encouraged to quit. Pubs wont loose any trade whatsoever - people will simply light up less often and drink more - all good stuff. ;)

Sorry crafty1289 but I don't follow your logic with these points.
This would inevitably put some pubs out of business - the total ban puts them all on a level playing field.
Pubs wont loose any trade whatsoever - people will simply light up less often and drink more - all good stuff.
Surely market forces would sort this out better than the government? If you had a pub and decided to be non smoking(or vice versa) then subsequently found you trade was down, due to your choice, could you not just revert back to what would be best for your particular case?

Apparently many pubs or bars in Ireland(and New York) have closed or are really suffering due to their bans.
The overall idea of the ban is to remove the image of pubs being full of smoke, and the idea some young people have of thinking smoking is an "adult" and "grown up" thing to be doing.
I thought you could smoke at 16? (as it changed? I'm genuinely not sure)whereas to go in a pub and drink alcohol you need to be 18. I am not sure how smoking drinkers encourage people who shouldn't really be there. I suspect peer pressure at school causes more kids to try smoking than pubs ever could.

I wouldn't be certain about drinking more being good stuff either, smoking definately is filthy and kills too many people, but I doubt it causes anywhere near the problems that alcohol (abuse of) does.

My local stopped smoking inside a year ago they put sand box's outside and when ever you go though all the smokers are out there getting on really well chatting like they probably wouldn't inside. :LOL:

[Richard P said]

I wouldn't be certain about drinking more being good stuff either, smoking definately is filthy and kills too many people, but I doubt it causes anywhere near the problems that alcohol (abuse of) does.[/quote]

Whats next, ban alcohol. It would be interesting to hear some figures about how much alcohol costs the nhs, business, and the country in general
And yes you can get affected by passive drinkers, what about the violence on our streets and drunken drivers, not to mention people under the influence writing insults on forums on the web.
For the record I have been known to have the occassional glass of sherry :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back