Truth Regarding the Smoking Ban

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't get me wrong, I know it may be healthier to be in a smoke free environment and less smell etc, but personally when I am in a pub I cannot now seem to feel relaxed and have a good conversation anymore since half of the people are always having to go outside.

I have heard about large numbers of people 'supposedely' supporting the ban but I personally cannot believe it is anywhere near as high as we've been told it is and I know of many non-smokers also feeling the same way.

Some think there is more to this than meets the eye and as far as the pub trade suffering etc many have said it.

I am beginning could it be the ban playing a big part in Labour suffering a hammering last week?

Just have a look at the UKIP website and Freedom2choose.

Not that I am a UKIP supporter but it is interesting reading.

What does everybody else think regarding the points I've made?

P.S I am a NON SMOKER, in fact not even tried a cigarrete once in my entire life!!!

Regards

Sponsored Links
The smoking ban is a good thing. End of. Record numbers of people are quitting. Unfortunately, record numbers of kids are starting. How about a ban on the sale of tobacco, yeah, that'd be a good thing. Or a crackdown on these dicks who import cheap cigs and peddle them to kids. Tossers. :evil:

The ban was due to health and Safety at Work - not whether the public like it or not. Different issue altogether.

In March, I visited Riga in Latvia for a long weekend (makes a change from Prague).
When we visited the bars, as you do, I was surprised that some bars were smoking, and others non smoking. When I spoke to a local, he explained that the government reached a compromise re. banning smoking. Bars could choose to be smoking or non smoking. The local also said the reason for this was because as the Latvian people hadn't long been released from Soviet control, they valued their freedoms and were reluctant to loose them. Makes sense!

I'm with Clitheroe on this, a pub is not a sterile environment where you go to improve your health. A lot of the pubs round by me are dying on their arses, because of the ban. In the few pubs that have custom, the smokers were the regulars that made up the character of the place. They are either staying at home or standing outside. They have been replaced with couples who keep themselves to themselves and nurse a pint each all night.

A pub should be where people go for a pint, a smoke and aimless conversation about birds, footy, politics and putting the world to rights.

Those that want a sterile healthy environment should go to a healthclub.

Sponsored Links
The pubs were dying before the ban. They were yesterday's entertainment. The world moves on.

perhaps they should introduce smoking in local sub post offices then? :idea:

So staying in and vegetating is the new 'going out' then ? Its not just the smoking ban, its the fact that booze can be bought for next to fek all in supermarkets, and when you get charged 3 quid for a beer in your local, and then stand outside to have a puff, which I do agree with ( I'm a smoker ), I think people just can't be ar*ed with it. :(

I know someone who is in a rented house and part of the contract states that he his not allowed to smoke in the house,so in theory could a building society or whom ever your mortgage is with insist that you do not smoke in your house until such time that the mortgage is paid and the house is legally yours?

If it was law then probably yes, otherwise contracts like above are mutually agreed to.

I enjoy going out and not coming home smelling of cigarettes. I can wear the same clothes the day after (if i wanted to). I dont smoke. Never have, never will. Those that say they cant quit are weak beings that will probably die from their selfish habit. At the end of the day, you choose to go down the shop every day and buy fags. They dont make you. Think on. Double the price of fags, then everyone will be happy. Even the NHS. :LOL:

My girlfriend recently stopped smoking. Its such a joy to kiss her without the lingering taste of fags and to cuddle up in bed at night without her hair smelling of fags. I love her so much for the effort it took her. :)

We're on this planet only once.............. do what the hell you want to yourself, your health, your body, it's your party :D

I do not know of one person who has started to regularly visit my local pub since the smoking ban came in.

There are some smokers who no longer come out to play :cry:

On a lighter note....4 weeks today since my last cigarette. :D

I do agree that it has been bad for the pubs and clubs and noticed a few round here that have closed down.

Maybe there should be a relaxing of this rule before it is too late!

Sponsored Links
Back