How much will this extension cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I’m after some advice on house extensions. I’m looking at buying a house which would need extending and I’m after some ball park figures on how much it would cost.

The extension would be 2 story of brick built construction with a tiled roof, built onto the side of a 1970’s detached house. The overall dimensions would be approx 5.5M wide x 8M long.
The ground floor would consist of a double garage at the front with a room behind.
The First Floor would consist of 2 bedrooms (one with en-suit).

I appreciate that giving a price without seeing the job or know the full spec is asking a lot, but like I say, I’m looking for a ball park figure. I don’t know if I’m looking at £20k or £50k or more?

I don’t really have time to get any quotes from builders so an advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
£1350 a m2 for each floor , plus bathroom and kitchen fittings

you wont acheve it for 50k.

Considering there is a large garage elemeent ,I would guestimate that you are 75k + vodka and tonic

Sponsored Links
£1500 - £1800 m2 for ground floor (this allows for the roof because it may only be a ground floor extension)

£1000 - £1200 m2 for first floor (because you've already allowed for the roof above)

The higher figures would probably allow for a pretty high specc'd kitchen / bathroom.

44m2 Ground Floor at £1500m2 = £66k
44m2 First Floor at £1000m2 = £44k
Total = £110k

(This isn't a ball park figure - that's against forum rules! - just a rule of thumb)

Tunbridge said:
I don’t know if I’m looking at £20k or £50k or more?

I think they are around 1972 prices.

[/quote]

I think they are around 1972 prices.[/quote]

Thats when the house was built! Think I need a re-think, cheers.

you could get the building work done for around 60k. furnishing the space however, can cost as much again depending on taste or budget.

scraping the barrel, you could get the whole thing done for 80k.

We are currently building a similar extension, 2 story, ground floor will be large kitchen and single garage, both around 13 foot wide and 18 foot long and 2 bedrooms upstairs. We set aside 25k for the shell complete with windows and roof and we are almost in budget all but 2k over. I am expecting the inside to cost another 10 to 13k. We have builder/plumber/sparky friends who are doing it for us and we are paying them day rates which helps alot. I also have 2 teenage sons and hubby doing alot of the labouring. The boys get new trainers for their efforts and hubby doesnt get nagged at so much. We are managing to build it for half of what a builder would want but in all honesty it will probably take 2/3 years to acheive.
Hope this helps
Nelliedee

Hi Noseall
I am buying a good quality second hand kitchen and I do all the tiling myself in my home.
6 years ago we were quoted 24 k for a single story extension, we project managed it ourselves and built it for 7k!!!! and put a kitchen in for 3k including the tiling.
This is our 2nd project and I seem to be very good at shopping around for materials ect...
Amazing how much difference there is in the builders quotes and what one can do if they put their minds to it. :LOL:

without misleading the o.p., a 5m x 8m extension will use up more than 25k in materials alone.

+labour.

+plumbing and heating.

+electrics.

and then they will need to furnish the extension with kitchen, bathroom utility, carpets, etc, etc.

they could however decide to do it over a 10 year period at 10k per year. but that would be daft wouldn't it.

Our extension is up to 1st floor timbers and has so far cost 9k with labour and materials. Brickie and labourer are £250 a day. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back