Am i being fussy bstard?

corgiman said:
fitz1 said:
what was total cost.cxi is stainless coil hx

thanks for that just check on glowworm website, so treated water to it aint a problem, in fact its adivisable to inhibit scale build up

:)

nice looking boiler

You shouldn't put softened water into steel radiators.

Sponsored Links
Ok here's the connections. And yes the softener was mine already so it's oldish. came with house.

Anyway that top pipe runs round to the 'IN' on water softener. Im confused, if i turn off the top stopcock with arrow kitchen tap stops, other two don't so im still not sure which feed in ground is mains, i thought it would be one with stop cock, unless the washer has disintegrated.

pipe5.jpg

The lower pipe is the in pipe and the upper pipe the out pipe. So the hoses are the wrong way round!

DIA and Corgiman, you're confusing system filling water and DHW water.

The pipe with the stopcock coimng out of the floor on the left is the incoming mains, the valve to the right (horizontally) is the by-pass, the pipe with the arrow is the softened water to the taps.

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
The lower pipe is the in pipe and the upper pipe the out pipe. So the hoses are the wrong way round!

Not if the filler loop is connected to the softened water. :LOL:

The outside tap is connected to the raw water, just a check valve, and a decent stopvalve missing then.

chrishutt said:
Another thing.... the filling loop for the heating system (under the boiler?) will be using softened water, which you do not want.
I'm way ahead of you tonight, DIA. :cool:

Im getting confused here.

Okay to summarise (from all the pics ive posted on pg 1,2,3)

1. Is the water softener plumbed the wrong way?

2. Looks to me the boiler feed is fed from the same pipe the 'IN' feed is to W/S so that's ok?

3. Those green pipes shoved onto the copper isn't good, and there should be a p-trap right? Although as this is an 'air tight' fit how would gases escape?

4. On page one the pipes entering the drain pipe esp the copper pipe should be sealed.

5. the boiler drain pipe should be 32mm pipe correct?
Many thanks again for all your comments and input

festive said:
Im getting confused here.

Okay to summarise (from all the pics ive posted on pg 1,2,3)

1. Is the water softener plumbed the wrong way?

2. Looks to me the boiler feed is fed from the same pipe the 'IN' feed is to W/S so that's ok?

3. Those green pipes shoved onto the copper isn't good, and there should be a p-trap right? Although as this is an 'air tight' fit how would gases escape?

4. Er.. anything else ive missed.

Many thanks again for all your comments and input

Altogether guys.

1. yes the bottom pipe is the raw water and should be connected to the inlet of the water softener.

2. the boiler is connected to the top, softened water, ok for the DHW but not the filler loop which fills the radiators.

3. the green waste pipe has to have an air gap the same as a washing machine.

4. check valve, a drain cock and a stopcock on the outside tap.

5. its not a drain point, it's a condensate drain.

You also need to say what the pipe is that they all connect too, which should also be sealed with the proper fittings, and not just stuck in the pipe.

chrishutt said:

nope I am not

aluminium heat exchangers (central heating side) will corrode very quicky with treated water

but stainless steel Primary heat exchangers will not

I think you think that i am talking about the back to back heat exchanger but i am not.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back