Internet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Im with Virgin at the mo, Internet, landline, tv,don't want and don't use landline, and want to add tv's, but don't want all the cables.
So thinking of going to sky as you can get senders and no landline but have been told from my mate that the Internet is rubbish, my question is any company's out there that do decent Internet. Thanks for your time!!

Sponsored Links
It might depend on your area but I've got Sky fibre and it's great. Four, sometimes 5 of us online at the same time and I've got no complaints about the speed. I was on Sky broadband before fibre and again, no complaints. That did slow with all of us online but that was down to it being broadband. I can't comment on the multi room as I haven't got Sky Q.

I've always known this, but apparently it's still largely unknown . . . You do not have a connection to the internets, what you have is a connection to your ISP.

This connection to your ISP is controlled by BT.

Your ISP has a connection to the internets but you don't get direct access to that, what you have is access to your ISP's 'cache server'.

When/once you understand how it works, then maybe you might be able to comprehend how a system that was designed to be 'FREE' is probably costing you as much as £40 a month.

So, how much is a cache server and what else would I need to have it free after the initial expense?

Sponsored Links
Yes it's gone down hill since 2005. I've gone back to BBS and Usenet on dialup
Wooooooo..........BBS's. The good old days. I used to run a BBS. Started with RemoteAccess then swapped over to EleBBS. Had a second phone line installed so that I could run 24 hours and still be able to use the phone. Happy days :D

The good old days.....1200 baud and 75 baud return

but before that there was the Inter (connecting ) String
morse key.jpg

More and more people get their internet through their phone via 4g so the billions they spent on fibreoptic came too late in the day to justify what they are now asking in price.

That whole 'line rental' scam will be phased out in the coming years as well for conventional broadband to compete with wireless. Similar to energy companies putting standing charges on their meters, line rental was always a way to extort more money from the public because they know they have them over a barrel. Won't be the case soon.

Much easier to set up a wireless broadband company than one that depends on the cable infastructure, which is mostly owned by BT? Or isn't it? It was interesting to see that Stuart Braggs set up his own mast on the isle of man, sadly he passed away last year unexpectedly.

It might depend on your area but I've got Sky fibre and it's great. Four, sometimes 5 of us online at the same time and I've got no complaints about the speed. I was on Sky broadband before fibre and again, no complaints. That did slow with all of us online but that was down to it being broadband. I can't comment on the multi room as I haven't got Sky Q.

You can the same or better through a phone.

Sponsored Links
Back