Is it time to to ban vintage air shows?

I thought you'd decided it was an old pilot and plane, Big Al, then decided to wait for the enquiry?

I am also struggling to understand the point you're making, as you now appear to be saying that older pilots are vastly more experienced i.e. better?

Sponsored Links
I think the video maker and /or someone in mic range is in some kind of shock ref. vocal sounds on mic.

At about 1:18 into the video good to see a man, on opposite carriageway near the traffic lights, attempt to get near conflagration , then whilst others (understandably) dither, no doubt looking for leadership - He goes directly to the flattened white car to the left of view - No hesitation.

Horrific scene - what would you have hoped you may have done ?

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

-0-

Yes but try telling that to the families of the two men below

And why should those men be any different to this one? This cyclist did not have to die.
It's not any different. All fatal accidents are tragic and we should do as much as possible to prevent them. The fact that there are 500 cycle and motorcycle accidents per year means that anyone who does it knows the risk. Anyone who drives a car or steps on a plane knows the risk. The people that died would have been taking their own risks in life.
I am not actually saying that air shows should be banned but the safety aspect should be changed.

If a cyclist is run over and killed, the driver is immediately arrested even though it was accidental. Whereas a pilot who kills a group of people will probably be seen as a hero because he managed to avert an even bigger disaster even though basically he was showing off in a jet.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, so far no one has given any good reasons why not to move such shows from population areas, other than 'people die, accidents happen, get over it'.

Not a winning argument.

_85153500_shoreham_air_crash_624.jpg

Air traffic has to obey a number of rules around civilian airspace, helicopters for instance have to maintain minimum altitudes to allow space for emergency landings, planes have defined flight paths.

Maybe you would like to argue these rules should be removed? After all, 500 people die on the roads each year, that is the logic right?

End this health and safety madness!

Sponsored Links
theres a point in the learning process where your experience will bring you at least to a minimum standard required
the bit in the middle where you improve skills and experience towards you maximum
there is a point where experience cannot compensate for your other faculties diminishing

off course all this happens at different rates dependant on skills required and the individual concerned

Last edited:
Surely it's unwise to speculate until the exact cause for the crash is made public.

I hope for the pilot's sake they don't attribute responsiility to him though, because the public will eat at him until whatever life he does have after this won't be worth living.

All in all though, it's happened, and the people that have died have left behind families who will be living with the repercussions of this freak accident for the rest of their lives.

The way I see it is - how would I feel if it happened to me ? I'd be seething with anger and hatred for anyone that nonchalantely says ''shyte happens'', these people weren't going to an airshow that day, they were driving from A to B on the road, unaware. I'd feel differently if it were people in the crowd.

Of course banning these shows would be ludicrous, but they need to ramp up the legislation just a little, not much.

We are Britain after all, if you want to throw the dice of death every time you leave the house go and live in Russia.

I agree, all those people wiped out because some b*gger was doing a loop the loop in a fast plane over a busy road ffs. And some people trying to justify that...get fookin real.

W
theres a point in the learning process where your experience will bring you at least to a minimum standard required
the bit in the middle where you improve skills and experience towards you maximum
there is a point where experience cannot compensate for your other faculties diminishing

off course all this happens at different rates dependant on skills required and the individual concerned
...which is why air show pilots are evaluated before being allowed to fly. By all means, argue that the criteria need to be tightened, though.

I agree, all those people wiped out because some b*gger was doing a loop the loop in a fast plane over a busy road ffs. And some people trying to justify that...get fookin real.

No-one is trying to justify a pilot doing a stunt over a road, people are merely expressing their personal opinions based on the thread title, which is; "Is it time to ban vintage air shows?"
For myself, although it doesn't seem to have come across correctly, I am NOT against improving safety at any event but restricting them to flying over the sea is not a viable alternative for a number of reasons. One of which at the height of summer seaside towns are often packed to the gills with 'normal' tourists and trying to add another 5-10,000+ air show enthusiasts would be an absolute nightmare logistically. Moving the display further away from the spectator line will mean more people would try to find a secluded space or 'quiet' back road in order to get a closer view, this in turn may cause congestion in small villages or along lanes that farmers need to use regularly through the day to do their jobs. Both of these measures would have an impact on the number of 'official' attendees to the shows resulting in a loss of revenue. This loss of revenue would mean a cut in the number of aircraft flying and the possibility of some historic aircraft being lost all together because there is not the money to finance the servicing/maintenance of them.

yes i fully agree no knee jerk reactions just well informed well thought out sensible responses that are in proportion to the enjoyment off spectators the right off the innocent that may be injured or killed and the effect on the nations heritage

we should be able to have 95-97% off the enjoyment with a 50% reduction in danger

I don't think this is an acceptable outcome of entertainment -

upload_2015-8-26_14-27-30.png

We don't have an Arizona desert therefore the only way it will never happen again is a ban.

you could find 1000s similar looking pictures caused in peace time by accidents
with trains cars petrol tankers petrol stations aeroplanes ect
the action taken will be sensible measured in proportion to what happened

you could find 1000s similar looking pictures caused in peace time by accidents
with trains cars petrol tankers petrol stations aeroplanes ect
the action taken will be sensible measured in proportion to what happened
Yes, but they are the result of accidents in what is necessary for modern life.

I do not want my family killed by other people's 'fun'.

Can you think of another form of entertainment which may escape the arena and cause such a tradgedy for the uninvolved?

Sponsored Links
Back