Is it time to to ban vintage air shows?

when was the last death at an air show off someone not participating

if you take the population off around 65 million and the number off years since the last death

i dont know how many where killed or when the last death was but if it was 10 years ago and 2 where killed and 8 were killed at shoreham thats a 1 in 65 million chance off dying over a 10 year period

as i say i dont know the actual numbers but i would happily take those odds

Sponsored Links
I don't know. It doesn't matter.

if you take the population off around 65 million and the number off years since the last death
i dont know how many where killed or when the last death was but if it was 10 years ago and 2 where killed and 8 were killed at shoreham thats a 1 in 65 million chance off dying over a 10 year period
Surely 10 in 65m or 1 in 6.5m

Ok. as long as it's your family and not mine.

So, anyone can do anything they like as long as the odds are acceptable to you.
What about hacking soldiers to death? - that is 1 in 65m.
Poor example, I suppose but you know what I meant.

upload_2015-8-26_17-49-10.png

over 10 years

View attachment 84167

like you i have nothing but an opinion that will make zero difference hence i spend most off my spare time where i can actually help people in words and actions (y)

Last edited:

1952 at Farnham. de Havilland DH110 broke up due to a design fault in the wing leading edge. 29 spectators were killed plus the pilot and an onboard test inspector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1952_Farnborough_Airshow_DH.110_crash

So I would say, as a nation, we have a pretty good record of safety at air shows. Improve the safety by all means, but not to such an extent it takes the thrill of them away and is detrimental to the show and do not ban them as the answer.

Sponsored Links
I heard earlier that another pilot was supposed to fly the plane that day but was unwell. Apparently he said he had studied a multitude of videos posted on the internet, his conclusion, (and it is only his conclusion not a fact), is that the pilot realised he was not going to make the turn and rather than attempt to hit the airfield, where maybe hundreds may have perished, he made the split second decision to turn away and try to avoid the spectators. Unfortunately the plane came down on the road killing 11 people not at the show.

But we must not guess/speculate what actually happened but wait for the enquiry to report its findings.

View attachment 84167
i actually missed your final point
i will not judge but assume you are perhaps confused
we have a tragic accident with people going about there lawful daily buisiness going wrong
and then you introduce an evil unlawful massacre as a comparison ??
rather strange choice

To answer the original question, I don't think an outright ban on airshows would be a measured response. Whenever an incident such as this occurs, guidelines and regulations are changed accordingly, based on what the report finds. We can speculate in the mean time but that's not going to help anyone.

People tend to develop very strong opinions on matters they previously thought nothing of when something like this happens, even though most of us have probably seen similar jets performing similar manoeuvres over similar terrain before.
A lot of things we see on a regular basis suddenly seem like a terrible idea when something goes wrong. Depending on where you are in the country, you may regularly see aircraft flying at low altitude over motorways and other busy roads. This may be anything from a light aircraft to a 747, or a fast jet on a training exercise. I can imagine a similar thread if, against all the odds, a major incident occurred as a result.

The other Hunter pilot was reportedly on holiday btw.

I did admit it was a poor example.

I disagree with your acceptance that the odds of something unnecessary causing death to random people being low enough for it to be justified.

i will not judge but assume you are perhaps confused can be accepted
Patronizing duly noted.

we have a tragic accident with people going about there lawful daily buisiness going wrong
rather strange choice
Fair enough, but it doesn't happen very often.

Is being run over by a drunk driver a better analogy?
A retort that it is illegal would be flawed because it was only made illegal because random people were being killed by other people not in proper control of their vehicle.

To drnowt

There is a difference between normal flights which are necessary for the modern world and people having 'fun'.
It is avoidable and in our small cramped country there are very few places where it would be far enough away from the rest of the population.

I did admit it was a poor example.

I disagree with your acceptance that the odds of something unnecessary causing death to random people being low enough for it to be justified.

i will not judge but assume you are perhaps confused can be accepted
Patronizing duly noted.

rather strange choice
Fair enough, but it doesn't happen very often.

Is being run over by a drunk driver a better analogy?
A retort that it is illegal would be flawed because it was only made illegal because random people were being killed by other people not in proper control of their vehicle.

To drnowt

There is a difference between normal flights which are necessary for the modern world and people having 'fun'.
It is avoidable and in our small cramped country there are very few places where it would be far enough away from the rest of the population.
i am not in the least being patronising you are all over the place with your annalogy
you are choosing very disjointed and unrelated "points "and trying to make them rellivent
i am trying to make allowances as we are all different and we all see things differently
my way off thinking to me is correct as is your way off thinking is correct to you that doesnt make me or you right it just makes us different
i just like to make allowances as i may be the wrong one as i dont mind admitting i can be wrong :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back