Recommend an alarm for my metal shed

Sponsored Links
I wasn't going to put a strobe on the outside of my shed but just rely on the master blaster inside. The house has a sounder and strobe that looks to me like the Odyssey 1E. I was going to put the master blaster inside a protective cage of some description so scumbags don't smash it.
A question about the Premier 24/M. When I read that it can do 3 part sets, is it similar to my veritas r8 as in if I do a zone change from ie entry exit to become guard this change happens in both part sets. Or can I have different zone changes in different part sets.

Many thanks,
Si

RF Lighting

"All you need to send to the shed is a single 4 core alarm cable connected to the network terminals in the panel. This will run the keypad which also acts as a mini panel allowing you to connect two detectors and two outputs to it which will be enough for a pir, door contact and a trigger for the master blaster."

Is this the case for premier keypads or only premier elite keypads? The elite keypads are twice the price.

Many thanks in advance,
Si

It is the same for both. Premier keypads work in the elite panels but not the other way round.

The elite keypads offer nothing extra except looking a bit nicer and a blue LCD screen which personally I don't like.

Sponsored Links
Brother fitted a loud siren activated by a 100m long infared yard beam at his property which is about 300m from his home.
If they manage to get past that beam then the buildings sensors activate the siren.

So far it has prevented two break in's and certain theft.

Wakes up the whole neighbourhood too when it goes off on the odd false alarm. :mrgreen:
But people don't seem to mind.

Probably well overkill for a domestic garage and the stand by electricity consumption is quite high but smoke cloak is a brilliant product. We looked at installing this system into my fathers post office following a string of very distressing armed robberies. Fortunately he retired before we had to resort to this.

Demo of the system here:
http://youtu.be/zav9TFuT_34

Well I now have a premier 24 installed connected to the original detectors. I have replaced the keypad to a Premier LCD and fitted Premier keypad in the shed. My 8 core alarm cable is run in unistrut from the house to the shed. There is a door contact on the shed door and a texecom dual tech detector in the shed wired to the keypads zones.
I powered up like it said black battery lead, red battery lead, press and hold factory default button, press battery kick start button, green heartbeat light illuminated,let go of factory default button, system went into alarm and i entered default eng 1,2,3,4.
Confirm devices menu appeared , it was scrolling through the devices I had so press yes and yes again.
At this point I don't remember the display changing but as I didn't know what I was looking for I climbed back into the loft to get the computer to talk to the panel via com port.
I played around with wintex and think I sussed it out and then sent my settings to the panel.
I can enter my new user passcode and it accepts it but keeps coming back to confirm devices with all the zones displaying tamper faults, keypads tamper faults, all zones showing active. I press yes and yes again but it keeps coming up with system alerts and phone alarm com.
I have wired up all of my detectors across the alarm contacts and then back to the zone I want in the panel and no resistors( I now know this is bad practice) and the tamper contacts back to the aux/fault contacts in the panel. The detectors in the house were wired like this on the veritas system I have just removed so haven't altered in the field just disconnected from veritas panel and reconnected in new premier panel. In wintex I have said the zones are doublepole end of line.
I can't get the keypad to do anything, it's as if it won't even let me confirm devices. Also when I now put it 1,2,3,4 it says I need to put in a valid user, I didn't alter the eng code(or don't think I did). The user code that it does accept has all the parameters set so I can access all areas.
Any clues to what I have done wrong?

Many thanks in advance,
Si

Change the wiring types to normally closed for each zone being used, as thats how you have wired it in the panel.

The premier and elite keypads will work on any premier panel elite or non elite.

if you have SMK or FMK they come in the metal finishes.

LCD (no prox small screen)
LCDL (no prox large screen)
LCDP (prox small screen)
LCDLP (Prox large screen) the only difference betwen this and the elite version is the blue screen and between the fmk and smk is the blue screen and metal finish.

Enter the engineers code twice straight after each other, you have faults on the system so you need to enter you user or enginers code twice to get into the menus.

Change the wiring types to normally closed for each zone being used, as thats how you have wired it in the panel.

The premier and elite keypads will work on any premier panel elite or non elite.

if you have SMK or FMK they come in the metal finishes.

LCD (no prox small screen)
LCDL (no prox large screen)
LCDP (prox small screen)
LCDLP (Prox large screen) the only difference betwen this and the elite version is the blue screen and between the fmk and smk is the blue screen and metal finish.

Did you change your code to more than 4 digits ? Have you addressed both keypads ? ( not the same ) in wintex untick grade 3 options for a start !

If theres two keypads, the address will certainly need addressing differently.

24, address for keypad 1 is 1 and for keypad 2 is 2

I did try the wiring type as normally closed and when I got my wife to walk infront of the detectors they worked on the diagnostics page, but as the system wouldn't let me do anything else I read more and thought the diagram on p28 (installation manual INS176 - 8 ) showing double pole looked more like what I had done
green 0v
white 12v
red and black alarm
blue and yellow tamper
compared to the normally open or normally closed circuits diagram. Now I have designated them double pole end of line they don't work on the diagnostics page.

I will put them back to normally closed tomorrow and try the eng code twice.

My keypads are white plastic with a green lcd , the installation manual that came with them says Premier LCD/P & LCDL/P. I believe mine are LCD/P as I cant see an output to drive a loudspeaker output just what I assumed as the normal output. Which in the shed I have going to my master blaster relay. In wintex I have said this output is a strobe as I didn't think it really mattered , I thought I just needed the output to switch the master blaster relay which is then mains driven.

I put a user code in of 6 digits to start, then it would let me adjust the number of digits used so I put it down to 4 digits so we could use the same code we used on the veritas.

I have changed the keypad address in the shed to number 2 and left the keypad in the house to number 1 as it came.

I will also have a look for the grade 3 options in wintex. Where abouts in wintex may I find them?

Many thanks for your replies I will post back tomorrow with an update.

Thanks very much,
Si

If you have wired the zones with two wires into the zone and 2 wires to the Aux tamper this is normally closed. (Just like the Veritas).

If you wired 2 alarm, 2 tamper (keypad zones) then thats double pole.

The 24 panel is just 2 terminals per zone. so you would use NO, NC, EOL (resistors), DP requires two wires alarm, two wires tamper into the zone.

If you changed the zones on wintex did you send the data across to the panel?
If you changed via the keypad, recieve the zone details in to wintex?

otherwise they will be looking different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back