£2 an hour to heat the home??

Sponsored Links
25 degrees
Last year, we used to have at 27 degrees
Blimey, thought my father in laws was warm, but you've definitely out done him.:LOL:

I'm running at around 19ºc, I get complaints when it's 15º:rolleyes:;)

25 degrees
Wtf? o_O

Those extra few degrees above 22 are using disproportionately more units to maintain.

A smart thermostat and Opentherm stat (if the boiler supports it) will turn the boiler CH temperature down, but have the heating on longer and use less gas to maintain room temperatures.

We have ours up to 23.5° but I have fitted my room stat a bit higher than it should be and it does make a difference. Fit it near the ceiling and I’d need it at 29°, fit it by the skirting board and 15° will probably do!

Sponsored Links
My gas bill doubled in November, and we didn't even have the house much warmer. Due to black mould in front hall and bedroom ceiling (no insulation in front hall, and a cold spot on bedroom ceiling that I attempted to fill with insulation in the loft last night) I've put the heating on for longer.

I think December-Feb bills are going to be huge! But I have decided better to be warm, healthy and poor than cold, coughing and have an extra £300 in my pocket.

I live alone and I'm WFH. Luckily, I don't mind it being a bit cooler, I've never liked being in spaces with the heating up high. Now we're into the colder weather and with prices increasing, I leave the heating off all day (wearing multiple layers to keep warm-ish) then turn it on 17.30 - 00.00. I set my hall thermostat to 15-16 which results in my lounge getting to 19ish which is warm enough for me. Bedrooms don't get much above 16. 1980s timber frame bungalow that I suspect has rubbish insulation properties.

Sunday is my treat day, heating's on all day if need be :) having said that, I'm rarely up before 11-12 as a lie in is my other Sunday treat!

But I have decided better to be warm, healthy and poor than cold, coughing and have an extra £300 in my pocket.

keeping it dry is more beneficial to health (and to the structure) than making it hot, so a regular modest temperature is better than wide swings.

For an unoccupied house, the insurers specify a minimum temperature of 12C, which is quite cheap to maintain and protects against damp and frost.

I live alone and I'm WFH. Luckily, I don't mind it being a bit cooler, I've never liked being in spaces with the heating up high. Now we're into the colder weather and with prices increasing, I leave the heating off all day (wearing multiple layers to keep warm-ish) then turn it on 17.30 - 00.00. I set my hall thermostat to 15-16 which results in my lounge getting to 19ish which is warm enough for me. Bedrooms don't get much above 16. 1980s timber frame bungalow that I suspect has rubbish insulation properties.

I now have the stat set at 16C, which is based in the hall. On an evening, I light the living room gas fire and take the wireless stat in there with me.

If you don't have an external temperature probe for the boiler consider getting one, they set the boiler temp to the most efficient setting given the external temperature. I am always amazed how many boilers are set to max on the central heating temp.

If you want to do it manually just follow the user guide for your boiler and set a flow temp of 50c to start with, that is about the temp required by a fairly well insulated house. you can raise that by 5c if the house takes too long to heat or never gets to temp on the room stat.

You can also slow the speed of hot water round the ch circuit by balancing the radiators so that the hw has a change to give up its heat to the atmosphere whilst in the rads, there are loads of guides out there google it. If the return heat pipe is nearly as hot as the flow pipe ( simple thermometer will tell you) then the water is being pumped around too quickly to give up its heat....you are basically just wasting heat.

Aim for 12c drop between the inlet and outlet of a rad.

25 degrees

Thanks to your feedbacks, I'll experiment with leaving the heating on for longer periods.

The worst thing is: it's not even cold yet!
The temp is double figures in the middle of the day.
Below 10 when it gets dark though.

I feel soo bad for some people who will have to choose to eat or keep warm :(
25 degrees :eek:

That's why your gas useage is so high!

Any bachelors of my acquaintance seem to manage quite well in homes that are hardly heated at all. However, anyone co-habiting with a woman of the opposite sex seems to have to maintain much higher temps. If they want a quiet life, that is. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Any bachelors of my acquaintance seem to manage quite well in homes that are hardly heated at all. However, anyone co-habiting with a woman of the opposite sex seem to have to maintain much higher temps. If they want a quiet life, that is. :rolleyes:
Where as woman of the same sex are happy to freeze

Sponsored Links
Back