My daily heating routine

Sponsored Links
As I'm WFH and in an attempt to save some £££ (rising energy costs etc), I've introduced a new regime this winter. Monday to Friday the heating stays off until 17.30 then goes on until 00.00. During the day I wear the following:

thermal socks
trainers
fleece lined joggers
t-shirt
thin jumper
fleece lined wool zip up cardigan

Then, if required on days that are that bit colder:

thermal hat and sometimes gloves

Without a word of a lie, I do believe my body is starting to become acclimatised to the cooler temps during the day. Today my lounge is sitting around 10-12 degrees and tbh I feel ok. Not bad considering it's minus whatever outside. Yes there was a day last week when I felt a bit cold even with all the layers on, however nothing significant.

I don't have a smart meter but log on to my account every couple of weeks to check my usage. My aim is to remain in credit.

Me, a tight Fifer ... how DARE you ;)

p.s. most Saturday's I'm out until evening so heating goes on for a few hours when home. Sunday is my 'treat day', heating on from midday to midnight.
Not sure what your working hours are, but sounds a bit silly to heat a house until midnight if you’re going to bed at 10 or 11pm.

You’d be better off heating the house for a couple hours in the morning and shutting off your heating at say 9pm. It won’t then take as long to heat your house up at night and you’ll enjoy some warmth though the day.

Our heating schedule is as follows: 1.5hours in a morning, 5 hours at night. I wfh two days a week but haven’t as yet needed to have any additional heating…maybe tomorrow might be different. I can cope in a t-shirt, jumper and jeans.

9CAE02E4-02CA-4634-966E-78BC9B74B574.png

Yesterday I bought a Karcher window vacuum.

its fantastic for condensation on windows, well impressed

cheapest Karcher model is £40

Just bare in mind that depending on the type of building one lives in
That turning yer heating off in severe low temps can cause a problem with freezing

???

Had that twice in the last 3 days

Sponsored Links
Not sure what your working hours are, but sounds a bit silly to heat a house until midnight if you’re going to bed at 10 or 11pm.

You’d be better off heating the house for a couple hours in the morning and shutting off your heating at say 9pm. It won’t then take as long to heat your house up at night and you’ll enjoy some warmth though the day.

Our heating schedule is as follows: 1.5hours in a morning, 5 hours at night. I wfh two days a week but haven’t as yet needed to have any additional heating…maybe tomorrow might be different. I can cope in a t-shirt, jumper and jeans.
I'm rarely in bed before 1am. Little point in me putting it on e.g. 8am - 10am cause the house will be cold again come midday if not before.

I'm sitting here now with my lounge temp at 9.9 and whilst I'm not exactly feeling toasty, neither am I freezing.

Yesterday I bought a Karcher window vacuum.

its fantastic for condensation on windows, well impressed

cheapest Karcher model is £40

I have a towel.

If you let the towel dry indoors then the water evaporates into the air and condenses back onto the window. With a window vac you pour the water down the drain.
but it doesn't, during the day ventilation gets the water away.

I'm rarely in bed before 1am. Little point in me putting it on e.g. 8am - 10am cause the house will be cold again come midday if not before.

I'm sitting here now with my lounge temp at 9.9 and whilst I'm not exactly feeling toasty, neither am I freezing.
Fair enough, but it might be useful to work out how rapidly your house loses heat and gains heat too.

Assuming you had your house/heating at 20degrees at midnight and it’s 10 degrees at 11am you’re losing around a degree an hour (roughly). If you’re getting your house up to 20 degrees in 2 or 3 hours of heating, then you’d be better off doing 2-3 heating sessions thought the day/night. You won’t have a toasty warm evening like you do now, but you won’t freeze during the day or need such extreme clothing.

Fair enough, but it might be useful to work out how rapidly your house loses heat and gains heat too.

Assuming you had your house/heating at 20degrees at midnight and it’s 10 degrees at 11am you’re losing around a degree an hour (roughly). If you’re getting your house up to 20 degrees in 2 or 3 hours of heating, then you’d be better off doing 2-3 heating sessions thought the day/night. You won’t have a toasty warm evening like you do now, but you won’t freeze during the day or need such extreme clothing.
This doesn't happen. When I put the heating on at around 5 - 5.30, the lounge will rise to anywhere between 18-20 once into the evening. However the hall and 2 bedrooms will remain cooler, certainly not getting above 15 degrees in the current weather.

tbh I've never had the heating on though the night, joking aside nothing to do with being tight with money, just not something I've done. I do however get the rationale about keeping it on more regularly to keep a more consistent temp.

I sometimes think about hiring or buying a thermal image camera as I'd love to see how good/bad my property is at retaining heat. I suspect it's pants.

Yeah I wouldn’t have it on in the night either, but an early morning, early afternoon and evening heating session might work for you for a more consistent temperature experience.

Sounds any sort of insulation gains you could make would help out big time for you to retain the heat if possible.

I'm noticing condescension and mould since we have been turning down the stat to 17. And I have been suffering cold hands and feet too. Yesterday I felt my hands were particularly cold. When I looked down, my fingernails and the fingers up to the second knuckle were purple.... :eek:

Don't think my heart is pumping effectively....

Sponsored Links
Back