My daily heating routine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I'm WFH and in an attempt to save some £££ (rising energy costs etc), I've introduced a new regime this winter. Monday to Friday the heating stays off until 17.30 then goes on until 00.00. During the day I wear the following:

thermal socks
trainers
fleece lined joggers
t-shirt
thin jumper
fleece lined wool zip up cardigan

Then, if required on days that are that bit colder:

thermal hat and sometimes gloves

Without a word of a lie, I do believe my body is starting to become acclimatised to the cooler temps during the day. Today my lounge is sitting around 10-12 degrees and tbh I feel ok. Not bad considering it's minus whatever outside. Yes there was a day last week when I felt a bit cold even with all the layers on, however nothing significant.

I don't have a smart meter but log on to my account every couple of weeks to check my usage. My aim is to remain in credit.

Me, a tight Fifer ... how DARE you ;)

p.s. most Saturday's I'm out until evening so heating goes on for a few hours when home. Sunday is my 'treat day', heating on from midday to midnight.

Sponsored Links
Are you not getting some problems with condensation? I've been running the house cooler also but we are starting to get some damp indicators.

Are you not getting some problems with condensation? I've been running the house cooler also but we are starting to get some damp indicators.
Sometimes when I get up in the morning the lounge window (quite large) can be 1/2 - 2/3 covered in condensation, as can the bedroom windows. Not every morning though. The RH in my lounge right now is showing at 59% with a 10.5 degree temp. However, even when I wasn't WFH, the heating was rarely on in the morning or during the day as I was up, showered and out to work. I live alone for reference.

I am starting to notice some black mould on the ceiling of my bedroom in the corner where my breathe will be concentrated. That'll get treated tomorrow. And again, that happens now and again regardless of what I do with the heating.

The bedrooms are prone to being cold even when the heating's on. Yesterday they didn't get above 15 degrees even though heating had been on all day, well since midday ;)

Also not sure if relevant but my house is undoubtedly not well insulated. Kitchen quite drafty (outside vent on wall behind cupboard I think) so I think there's a degree of air circulation around the place that modern homes maybe don't have.

If you WFH & yet cannot afford to heat your home, have you considered returning to working in the factory???

I salute your stamina with regards to the ambient temps, but when you can no longer afford to also feed your dependants then the subsidised canteen slop is going to come in handy.

Sponsored Links
I also work from home, i have been having the house at 17.5 degrees and found that hard, i am impressed that you manage 10-12 degrees!

I am watching energy usage through the roof however, i am using 6 or 7 pounds of gas a day and another 4 or 5 of electricity so this quarter will be horrific.

If you WFH & yet cannot afford to heat your home, have you considered returning to working in the factory???

I salute your stamina with regards to the ambient temps, but when you can no longer afford to also feed your dependants then the subsidised canteen slop is going to come in handy.
tbh I could afford to have my heating on more, and if I genuinely found myself shivering then I would. However I'm not lying when I say I tend to feel ok during the day.

Someone said on a tv prog recently that our bodies do start to adapt, how true that is I don't know. Plus, what maybe helps is whilst I don't like sitting in a cold house (when wearing a normal amount of clothes!) nether do I like it overly warm. At night, if the temp's sitting around 18-19 degrees I'm comfortable.

I've also done things like buy a throw for my leather sofa, that also helps.

Is the ceiling well insulated?

I try to maintain a minimum temp of 16C throughout the house, even at night.

When I had an unoccupied house, tbe insurers required minimum of 12C, day a d night, which is very cheap in England as many days are that mild, and there is solar gain through the windows on sunny days. When you walked into the house it felt dry and comfortsble, though you'd keep your coat on, and there was always hot water.

If you are boiling kettles, having showers, and breathing, you are adding moisture to the air, which needs to be ventilated out.

I also work from home, i have been having the house at 17.5 degrees and found that hard, i am impressed that you manage 10-12 degrees!

I am watching energy usage through the roof however, i am using 6 or 7 pounds of gas a day and another 4 or 5 of electricity so this quarter will be horrific.
If you've not tried it, throw on multiple layers. I've recently invested in (and I do consider it a type of investment longer term) fleece lined joggers, keeps my legs warm. And the fleece lined zip up wool cardy is also great. Along with my hat and if needed gloves, I can quite happily sit in the house at 10-12 degrees.

Don't get me wrong though, once it gets to this time (back of four onwards) I do start to look forward to the 17.30 turn on :)

Is the ceiling well insulated?

I try to maintain a minimum temp of 16C throughout the house, even at night.

When I had an unoccupied house, tbe insurers required minimum of 12C, day a d night, which is very cheap in England as many days are that mild, and there is solar gain through the windows on sunny days. When you walked into the house it felt dry and comfortsble, though you'd keep your coat on, and there was always hot water.

If you are boiling kettles, having showers, and breathing, you are adding moisture to the air, which needs to be ventilated out.
I think it's pretty well insulated but again nothing spectacular.

Boiling kettles, water on the hob etc isn't a problem. Like I say my kitchen is drafty, there's a vent somewhere behind a cupboard I'm sure. As for keeping on top of mould/damp problems, That's something I monitor around the place almost daily.

Not a lot of people know this . . . . But you feel a temp' drop much more than you feel a low ambient temp.

Lard Towers ambient internal temp is maintained at a target of 22deg C. On the very rare occasion it drops 1 or 2 deg C below this it is like Hell has frozen over & the Devil hisself is on my back.

I am wrapped up in t shirt, shirt, jumper and a wearable blanket, but i still feel it with the thermostat on 17, i guess i am a wimp :)

Sponsored Links
Back