£500 for drill set

OP you won't need an impact driver with that combi drill but I would recommend investing in the 10.8 range to complement those tools for regular use.

Do you mean 10.8v Impact? I've seen Bosch do a dual Driver/Wrench in their Impact range - haven't seen anyone else with that offering. You're probably right about not needing an impact but my current Bosch combi I've always had to pre-drill for stud work/framing etc., which I'd want to avoid. Granted I don't do it every day, but it would help!

And I take it you are referring to 'that' combi drill in the 3-piece set I posted in the OP?

Sponsored Links
No I wasn't referring to an impact, I was thinking a small drill as the combi might be heavy for small screws.
That said it depends what you are used to and how old you are. The stuff you linked to was dewalt the tools I am referring to are bosch .

if you go for a combi drill/impact driver kit, look to see what models you are getting, the 3 speed impact driver is excellent and i notice NOT often in the KIT
also they Drill can be the very cheap version i saw online for £49 bare
The DCD7 series often comes in a kit
but at the moment on FFX with 2x 5A batts and charger is £215
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...V-2X5.0Ah-Li-Ion-Xr-Brushless-Combi-Drill-Kit
OR
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...V-2-X-5.0Ah-Xr-Brushless-Combi-And-Impact-Kit
£269, has the Impact 3 speed DCD7 series & 2x 5A and box

gets the impact driver for 269-215 = £54

The 3 speed impact driver bare £76
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...-Xr-Brushless-3-Speed-Impact-Driver-Bare-Unit
SDS corded Drill with interchange chuck , so will also do wood 2.8J £165
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...0-Sds-Hammer-800-Watt-240V-Quick-Change-Chuck
=
£215+76+165
<£500
you could perhaps get some smaller batteries for the impact driver, but no box for the impact
OR
https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...V-2-X-5.0Ah-Xr-Brushless-Combi-And-Impact-Kit
£269, has the Impact 3 speed DCD7 series & 2x 5A and box
then the SDS drill, if you wanted the flexibility of the NON SDS chuck, I have used a lot on wood now for larger holes
£165
=£434

NOT on any special deal at FFX, they may start offering 10/15% later

I was going to Buy the Bosch SDS drill, as it looked really good, but then I noticed quite a lot of bad reviews popping up
Also i liked the 2.8J power rating , rather than th emuch lower rating on some of the cordless

I'm not bound to 'sets' and would happily consider individual products and even manufacturers. It probably does make sense to stick to the same though especially with cordless so I can interchange the batteries.

But basically, get corded SDS and cordless combi and impact. I assume the 6 years battery life is due to use (?) so is it worth buying spares upfront and use them, or do they actually have a shelf life too?

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think you will get significantly more power from a corded 2 kg sds drill than from a quality 18volt (and certainly a 36 volt) cordless version

Blup

Sponsored Links
Eta not sure which bosch drill you were looking at but I just looked on amazon reviews for the GBH 18v-26 and it gets a 4.9 rating I also saw it was advertised at £189 inc spare chuck Bargain! with 2.6j of power

it was cabled
GBH 2-28 F Professional
Bad reviews on Amazon & screwfix and other places , so choose to go dewalt in the end, particularly as my daughter / family was buying or a xmas presie and she found all the poor reviews

Last edited:
All my stuff is fluro green Ryobi. I have a 4ah battery pack and a 1.5ah. I just have a hammer drill/driver and an impact driver, no SDS.

I've found it to be very durable in DIY use, including being dropped and the battery packs hold charge well. Combined with several half decent drill bit sets and driver sets, it has tackled everything I've needed for the last 5 or so years.

I find it easy to use, comfortable, fairly light and powerful enough. For tiny driver work I use a Bosch ixo, but otherwise, the Ryobi has done everything and not missed a beat. The impact driver drove M10 coach screws to form a loft hatch frame with no issues at all and the drill driver has done plenty of work with concrete, including bolting down a garden shed with 4 inch M12 anchors.

Just another option for you, potentially. I cant remember what they cost but it certainly wasn't £500 even including all my bit sets which are a mix of Dewalt and Bosch blue.

I had the chance to upgrade to festool posh kit a while back at a very good price and chose to stick with the ryobi. It just works so why change.

I have the cordless Dewalt SDS. Slightly different color scheme as mine is a few years old now but i cant fault it and even for fairly substantial work it seems to hold up well. Dewalt as a brand seem to have perfected tools across their cordless range. The kits often provide great value for money when the batteries are taken into account as these are crazy expensive if purchasing from Dewalt. I however add to the batteries with non branded alternatives found online. Circa £20 for a 5AH battery that seem almost as good as the originals.

I've seen a few people using the Milwaukee 1/2" impact guns and been quite happy with them.

I seem to remember reading they moved production to China a while back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back