£54m to France to help stop 'refugees' crossing the channel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d like to see a penalty charge attached to that. Say, £10k deducted for every refugee that reaches the UK by crossing the channel. That’s fair, isn’t it? We'd have 'saved' £2,870,000 yesterday alone!

Sponsored Links
Won't make a difference, the French will just take the money and let them come anyway.

If the UK border force located in Calais was less hostile there may be less dangerous crossings happening.

I can't blame the French, the migrants have turned Calais into a poop hole

They just have to ask them routinely for ID then the traffickers would see that france is no longer the U.K. departure terminal.

It’s law in france to have photo ID on you.

Since the UK won’t collaborate and agree on taking a fair share, France won’t care….why should it, it already takes 5x more asylum seekers than UK.

Anyway, the numbers of asylum seekers isn’t a crisis the numbers are smaller than they used to be.

This is just another diversion tactic by this right wing populist govt…..it’s desperate to hide its pandemic and Brexit failures

Sponsored Links
A bit less than the £100m a monkey was quoting here the other day then.

A bit less than the £100m a monkey was quoting here the other day then.
The UK has paid France over £100m - which has gone to improve security at the tunnel and Calais port. Also I think patrols on beaches.

But France has no interest in stopping these people leaving - illegal immigration is a political hot potato there as it is here.

Won't make a difference, the French will just take the money and let them come anyway.

If the UK border force located in Calais was less hostile there may be less dangerous crossings happening.

I can't blame the French, the migrants have turned Calais into a poop hole
And will turn the UK into a poop hole instead?

Since the UK won’t collaborate and agree on taking a fair share, France won’t care….why should it, it already takes 5x more asylum seekers than UK.

Anyway, the numbers of asylum seekers isn’t a crisis the numbers are smaller than they used to be.

This is just another diversion tactic by this right wing populist govt…..it’s desperate to hide its pandemic and Brexit failures

Does the UK have the infrastructure in place to take more than it does already?

its a very difficult situation to navigate.

yes the illegal crossings need to be stopped, but we do not have the capacity to accept everyone.

there needs to be a fine balance, for which i have no answers on how to achieve. Although one such suggestion is to stop going up blowing other peoples countries up, or leaving said blown up country before the necessary infrastructure is in place to deal with resurgence of enemies (Afghanistan/taliban rings a bell here, we've done it once and seems we are to do it again).

could also help with the news outlets and politicians weaponizing headlines, it's because of such things why we leave these countries we "saved" prematurely only for the same poop to happen all over again (Afghanistan), and same reason for the displeasure against asylum seekers, sensationilised headlines designed to whip up emotion and hysteria.

for as long as man kind has been around there has always been mass wars and refugees from worn torn countries trying to find safe passage, and the same headlines have been written and told time and time again.

And will turn the UK into a poop hole instead?

it's a very difficult balance,

Calais is now a shanty town of tents and crime.

there really is no need for the asylum seekers to insist on coming to the UK, when they land they will find very quickly they perhaps had the incorrect view of what was waiting for them at the other end.

frances plan is to make them uncomfortable in the hope they will disperse elsewhere, which i do sympathise with.

asylum seekers especially failed ones, appear to be a problem no one really wants to take responsibility for, and with so many human rights acts and other laws, even if they fail their application you cant get rid of them, so why not just grant them it anyway?

personally i have very conflicting views both right and left leaning, but am trying to take a balanced view

it's a very difficult balance,

Calais is now a shanty town of tents and crime.

there really is no need for the asylum seekers to insist on coming to the UK, when they land they will find very quickly they perhaps had the incorrect view of what was waiting for them at the other end.

frances plan is to make them uncomfortable in the hope they will disperse elsewhere, which i do sympathise with.

asylum seekers especially failed ones, appear to be a problem no one really wants to take responsibility for, and with so many human rights acts and other laws, even if they fail their application you cant get rid of them, so why not just grant them it anyway?

personally i have very conflicting views both right and left leaning, but am trying to take a balanced view

The irony is over here of course we are all riddled with endemic institutionalised racism (the white Brits only of course) whilst every other nation joining us are perfect. One could argue many come from war torn countries used to fighting and civil war one could argue they too are blighted with similar negative traits to which we really don't want here is a civil war from there over here. But hey thats of course stereo typing racist etc..

Such hypocrisy.

The irony is over here of course we are all riddled with endemic institutionalised racism (the white Brits only of course) whilst every other nation joining us are perfect. One could argue many come from war torn countries used to fighting and civil war one could argue they too are blighted with similar negative traits to which we really don't want here is a civil war from there over here. But hey thats of course stereo typing racist etc..

Such hypocrisy.

yeah i get that... its a very difficult line to follow, those countries on the continent do appear to get away with more than the UK,

Instead of giving money to the French why don't we have vessels waiting down in Gibraltar to bring the UK bound migrants directly to the UK? Thus by-passing all the nonsense.

Sponsored Links
Back