0il

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn’t worry too much about it......it’s the first figure that’s really important- a nice thin oil when cold for a protected cold start.
John

Thanks all. Skoda Octavia diesel 2022. I put in about one and a half litres of 0W30 which I thought was correct but then found out it should have been 0W20. 1st oil service due in 6000 miles

I changed from 5w30 to 5w40 in my old 5 series when it hit 150K, thinking a slightly thicker oil (when at temp.) would be beneficial.
Have it changed ever year, despite the car only covering around 5K. as sadly much of it's mileage is on short trips.

Thanks all. Skoda Octavia diesel 2022. I put in about one and a half litres of 0W30 which I thought was correct but then found out it should have been 0W20. 1st oil service due in 6000 miles
More important than the viscosity is the spec of the oil.

The handbook should give you a choice of acceptable types and grades.

If it meets the spec then don't worry. If it doesn't, because it's such a new car (with warranty) then get it changed. An oil change is cheap compared to warranty cover.

Or if in doubt. Specify what oil is recommended and what oil you added.

Any oil is better than no oil, short term

Is this its first service ? would changing the oil yourself satisfy all the warranty stuff?

One and a half litres of oil added......that’s bloomin high oil consumption unless I’ve missed something.
John

IME the owners handbook usually has a table of acceptable grades of oil, varying according to the climate you are in.

Have you got it?

If this is a first service, it must mean the car is under warranty, so I think it would probably be wise to call the dealer and explain what you've done. Then if the worst comes to the worst and your engine dies during the warranty period, you have a bit more comeback. As Carmanmemoranda says, it's not just the viscosity that's important, but also the grade. If it is a new VW diesel, it's likely to be 507.00, but check your handbook (or possibly a sticker under the bonnet).

Personally, as long as the oil you added, is of the correct VW standard (even if it is a bit thicker), I doubt any harm will be done, but manufacturers always try to wriggle out of expensive warranty claims.

As an aside, VAG cars do seem to have an early oil consumption problem. It's not at all uncommon for them to need a top-up between leaving the showroom and first service. On most cars, it settles down after that. Ours is a 2017, with 45,000 miles on it, and will maybe get through about half a litre of oil between services.

Could well be the latest spec stuff which is 508.00 so worth checking.
Not sure on the differences, maybe the viscosity.

Sponsored Links
Back