1 cm thick limescale in toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My parents in law complained about a blocked toilet for months.

My husband disconnected the bowl from the evacuation pipe and realized that there is at least 1 cm of limescale from the bottom of the bowl right to the exit where it connects to the evacuation pipe in the wall. He had to use a chisel to break the main lump of limescale at the exit level before using a bit of acid.
Parents in law don't want to buy a new bowl.
Type of acid is not strong enough, just about to clean a kettle.

We saw that there is something called "Spirits of Salt" which is quite efficient. Don't know where to buy it.

My question is do you know where to buy this or can we use something equivalent strong enough. I read about brick cleaner, would this work the same?

Thank you.

Letty

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Plumbers use acid in controlled circumstances as it is exceptionally dangerous. I'm not sure there is an appropriate alternative to a new pan and cistern other than physically sanding down the remaining scale until the lip is removed and it can flush effectively. Not pleasant work. Worth checking that the blockage is not further down the soil pipe.

Sponsored Links
use this it will get it clean empty bowl of water fill with this and leave for several hours will get rid of it if its really bad may take a couple of goes

Thank you to all of you who answered.

We used 2 bottles of Kilrock Rhino Heavy duty when the toilet was still in place but it did not work. We couldn't even pass the spring drain rod due to the amount of scale there. I have never seen this in my life. Then we disconnected the toilet, it sits now in the middle of the lawn, and used Kilrock Mega K that we use for the kettle. Not powerful enough Notch7.

Gas112, is brick acid safe for enamel?

No way parents in law want a new bowl. It is such an old model that changing it for a new means that we would need to redo everything around, the hole, the wall tiles, the floor... They don't have/want to spend the money and we don't have the competence to do it all ourselves.

Last edited:
I've used brick acid a few times. Bowl comes out looking like new. Obviously be careful not to get it on anything else, especially yourself, but it doesn't harm the ceramic.

Are you sure it's limescale? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a trade pour their leftover mortar/adhesive/plaster/etc down the toilet and it's solidified at the bottom. That can sometimes look very like limescale.

Limescale, no matter how thick, will happily dissolve quite readily using a proprietary limescale remover given time and will certainly dissolve quite quickly using an acid, so it may not be limescale.

Thank you to all of you who answered.

We used 2 bottles of Kilrock Rhino Heavy duty when the toilet was still in place but it did not work. We couldn't even pass the spring drain rod due to the amount of scale there. I have never seen this in my life. Then we disconnected the toilet, it sits now in the middle of the lawn, and used Kilrock Mega K that we use for the kettle. Not powerful enough Notch7.

Gas112, is brick acid safe for enamel?

No way parents in law want a new bowl. It is such an old model that changing it for a new means that we would need to redo everything around, the hole, the wall tiles, the floor... They don't have/want to spend the money and we don't have the competence to do it all ourselves.
yeah perfectly safe

Just buy a 1kg bag of citric acid powder on ebay. A teaspoonful dissolves all the crust in my kettle, far cheaper and more effective than supposed descaler products, we keep a bag on the go all the time. Example...

Mix perhaps 200g powder with boiling water then pour in. If it doesn't fizz then it's not dissolving so isn't limescale, as suggested above it could be something else. Leave until it stops fizzing then flush. Repeat as necessary until there's no more fizzing and/or nothing left.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Are you sure it's limescale? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a trade pour their leftover mortar/adhesive/plaster/etc down the toilet and it's solidified at the bottom. That can sometimes look very like limescale.

Limescale, no matter how thick, will happily dissolve quite readily using a proprietary limescale remover given time and will certainly dissolve quite quickly using an acid, so it may not be limescale.
That is what happened in our house. Toilet not flushing properly. When the link pipe seal failed removed the toilet to find the discharge pipe and sewer pipe had a layer of plaster in there. took a couple of hours to clear with 'gentle' work with wedges and hammer to knock off the hardened rubbish. The bottom of the bowl was clear so no one could see the cause mom the blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back