1 Gang 20mm Spacer

Sponsored Links
My preference is a circular saw bench. Put the base of the box against the fence and adjust the fence position as required and have the blade up just enough to go through the thickness of the wall. Takes 4 cuts (one each side) and then the internal pillars need to be finished off (I do them by hand) and threaded inserts removed. Actually, removing the inserts first might be a good idea depending on where you cut goes.
Putting the back of the box against the fence means that if the box moves away from it, it leaves extra material on the bit you want, rather than taking too much off.

Have to admit though - I've only done this on soft(ish) plastic boxes. I can't see why it wouldn't work with the hard ones with care.

I'm just curious - assuming, as seems to be the case, we are talking about a surface-mounted 'pattress' box, why can't it simply be replaced with one of the required depth?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm just curious - assuming, as seems to be the case, we are talking about a surface-mounted 'pattress' box, why can't it simply be replaced with one of the required depth?
I have only used PVC spacers where you need to fit an accessory that needs a deeper box than is currently chopped into the wall and for whatever reason you're unable to cut the wall out ie UFH thermostat, dimmer switch on a 16mm box etc so I assumed this was the same scenario

I have only used PVC spacers where you need to fit an accessory that needs a deeper box than is currently chopped into the wall and for whatever reason you're unable to cut the wall out ie UFH thermostat, dimmer switch on a 16mm box etc so I assumed this was the same scenario
Indeed. I suppose it's the "whatever reason" that I was curious about.

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps he is being polite: You Try Looking Please?

After all, you obviously did not even make the slightest attempt at using the internet to discover if your statement was accurate before posting it.

After all, your statement was accurate before posting it.

And "you obviously did not even make the slightest attempt at using the internet to discover" the answer to your problem.

And I note your advice to always use the internet to check accuracy of any advice, like wikipedia? When what you really mean is always get someone else to do your internet searches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back