1-gang rocker → 2-gang dimmer

Understood. Will give it a try.
Single red should be the switched live, correct?

Sponsored Links
Understood. Will give it a try.
Single red should be the switched live, correct?
Yes I predict that is correct.

At the light I'd expect to find 2 black neutrals (or 1 if it's the last on the citcuit)and one red switched live.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both.

Here is the inside of the rose.

And here is a view of the conduit(s) from the ceiling. Turns out there are three (numbered in the image).

The cables were fairly tight so tugging one effectively tugged them all, making it hard to distinguish which was going where. But all three from the switch seem to be coming down conduit 1.

Would I be right in thinking that the single red from the switch’s common is the one going to the lamp’s terminal block?

(Pretty worrying seeing how badly this light has been fitted. Attached to the ceiling with one rawl plug only partially inside the plaster, and a second bolt in place of a screw seemingly just going straight into the void where the conduits emerge. Also, a metal lamp that definitely doesn’t appear to be double insulated…)

Its likely a 2ba bolt into the conduit box lug, without that your metal light would have no Earth.
Ideally drill the crossbar so you have 2 fixings into the box, likely imperial 2ba thread
Its possible the cables are pulled in twisted, usual solution would be to pull all 3 back attached to a draw wire, then tape on your extra switchline and an earth, then pull them all back to the switch position together, its a 2 man job really.
Just pulling 1 cable can burn up the insulation of the others in the pipe

I'd say very unlikely the live loop in/out goes anyhere near the ceiling rose.
Wow you are one lucky guy, I'm so pleased to have been wrong. Did those 3 reds move the wires at the switch at all?

If not it looks like the option of repurposing of one of the reds as RSGAZ said is a good'n.

Yes the wire to the light is the single at the switch.

Rocky is right on the ball(y)

Last edited:
If not it looks like the option of repurposing of one of the reds as RSGAZ said is a good'n.

Im quessing his intention was based on cutting the feed and loop feed and joining at the rose.
Thus leaving 1 feed wire to the switch.
My concern would be the length of the cables to do that.
They look quite tightly pulled in and the switch, well that looks way tight.

full

full

That's how I took it too and yes I agree they are tight but I think it can be done with care. Nowhere near my preferred option but when needs must...
Im quessing his intention was based on cutting the feed and loop feed and joining at the rose.
Thus leaving 1 feed wire to the switch.
My concern would be the length of the cables to do that.
They look quite tightly pulled in and the switch, well that looks way tight.

full

full

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back