1. Lighting circuit safe area, does it need RCD? 2. RCD maximum current smaller than combined rings

The paperwork aspect is another matter - these days an electrician should leave something or the other what ever they do. Some don't due to the amount that is needed or they may not even be registered. Lack of the correct paperwork can cause people problems.
Any electrical work should, indeed, result in a certificate - an Electrical Installation Certificate or a 'Minor Works' one. However, one does not have to be 'registered', nor even necessarily an electrician, to provide such a certificate. There is therefore not usually any excuse for paperwork not existing - the most common 'reason' probably being that A DIYer has done the work and does not have the equipment or knowledge necessary to undertake the testing that would be required to enable a certificate to be produced. Some people would, of course, argue that someone who was not able to undertake the required testing should not be doing the work in the first place!

'Notification' of electrical work (now required for very little in England) is a different matter - but it's then not just a matter of 'paperwork' but of the correct notification having been made to the local authority, as required by law.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
This thread has escalated quickly! Thank you all for your inputs really, I tried to read through the other pages of interesting dissertation but unfortunately my mind could only absorb so much.

In the UK, we're getting very close to current regs requiring RCD protection of everything, but given that these requirements are not retrospective, it will be a very long time before that is reflected by by what one sees in all UK installations. However, in relation to what you say, to repeat something I've talked about many times before ....

... I am yet to be convinced of the effectiveness, particularly the ('impassionate') 'cost-effectiveness' of RCDs (or RCBOs) in relation to the prevention of deaths (and probably also serious injuries). For many years, I have been asking (here and elsewhere) people for reports of occasions on which someone has suffered (and survived) an electric shock which has tripped an RCD/RCBO - since those are the only case in which they may have died in the absence of an RCD (i.e. the RCD 'saved a life'). However, I have so far heard of almost no such occurrences.

In terms of 'cost effectiveness', I observe that the very widespread purchase and installation of RCDs/RCBOs has cost an awful lot ('billions') and that the same amount of money spent on other things (road safety, reduction in violent crime, illicit drug use etc.) would probably have had the potential to avoid far more deaths than is the case with installation of RCDs/RCBOs. In the UK, the number of deaths due to domestic electrocution in a year is appreciably less than the number of deaths on the roads, or due to drug abuse, in a week, and not much less than the number of murders per week.

That does, of course, not mean that RCDs are incapable of 'saving lives'. However, their greatest value is probably not in operating at the time of a shock but, rather, in resulting in the clearance of an L-E fault (of too high an impedance to cause an OPD to operate) before anyone gets a shock - but it is essentially impossible to get any statistics about that. However, I would imagine that (in TN installations) most L-E faults are of sufficiently low impedance to be cleared by an OPD, so RCDs/RCBOs probably don't make all that much difference.

True, but there is also the inconvenience (with a standard RCBO) of not knowing whether it has operated as a result of over-current or residual current - some sort of 'flag' to indicate that would be helpful. Another issue is that, at least in the UK at present, the great majority of RCBOs are single-pole, which introduces a few issues.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks @JohnW2 . (let me be nosy and ask you, I imagine you are the same John W[...] sat by the organ on youtube? I stumbled in some of your videos weeks ago, they are really extremely informational and well explained, I am sure you are not new to this sort of feedback!)
I totally agree with your view. (And eye-opening to know that RCBOs make diagnostics more difficult.)
It is a bit of a "trolley problem", or simply how much is someone's lives worth it? If indeed there are 20+ millions dwellings in the UK and replacing all the circuitry to RCDs / RCBOs is going to cost 1 bln pounds (assuming half the dwellings are fully RCDed and the cost of work+material to upgrade the 10mln dwellings is 100 pound) and then there is a chance, not a certainty, to perhaps save 5 lives per year, then perhaps that money can be diverted anywhere else.

But then again, that is a collective view.
Me as a private citizen, as I might decide I want to pay a ridiculous 4 pound for a loaf of sourdough, I might also decide that for my pocket's worth, spending 100 GBP to just erase from my mind the slightest chance of avoid seeing my partner or children being electrocuted, then be it.
Some people decide it is worth 100 quid a month and their health for the small enjoyment of sucking burnt air through a paper cylinder.

On a different note a new question, as apparently I have some of the brightest electrical minds of the forum over here (!!)
Not to start a dissertation of the wonders of the human mind and be marvelled at how I have been to these friends house several time in the past and never noticed their electrical configuration; last weekend I was at theirs again and noticed for the first time how they have a switch inside for the socket outside.
In this kitchen renovation which was the object of the thread, the ring which has been laid comprises also a socket outside, on the ring. No switch inside.
Does a socket outside need to have a switch inside by reg? If not, is it really inconvenient not to have one?
I understand the issues with someone might be stealing your electricity (unlikely I dare think), if a fault due to e.g. wind and rain occurs to the IP66 outside socket then with a switch you can isolate that and keep the electricty on in the kitchen (I would hope that IP66 boxes should withstand wind and rain in 99.9% of the cases and we are not in a flood prone area, even though these days who knows).

Essentially I would like to know if I should be bothered/worried at all by not having that switch, and if positive that I should worry I am probably in the last days when I can perhaps introduce a switch without disrupting the newly plastered walls.

Thanks!

There is no reg saying an outside socket needs a switch inside. Several people think a double pole switch is a good idea as outside sockets can get wet and cause RCD trips. However with a decent IP66 socket this should not occur. I have had such a socket both back and front for over 10 years without internal switches and have had no trips. As for misuse of electricity (you cannot steal electricity, only misuse it) I suppose it depends on the area you live. Again I have had no such instances.

So it is up to you.

Several people think a double pole switch is a good idea as outside sockets can get wet and cause RCD trips. However with a decent IP66 socket this should not occur.

Should not but can happen, especially when the socket is not installed properly and moisture enters the socket. This happens when the cable comes through the wall and into the back of the socket without the correct sealing.

Outside sockets can become damaged and need replacing before the RCD and/or MCB can be reset. If there is no double pole isolation for the external socket then the ring final that feeds the socket will remain dead until the outside socket is replaced or isolated.

Several people know that a double pole switch is a good idea

Sponsored Links
Should not but can happen, especially when the socket is not installed properly and moisture enters the socket. This happens when the cable comes through the wall and into the back of the socket without the correct sealing.

That is why I made a point of installing them properly!

In the UK, we're getting very close to current regs requiring RCD protection of everything, but given that these requirements are not retrospective, it will be a very long time before that is reflected by by what one sees in all UK installations. However, in relation to what you say, to repeat something I've talked about many times before ....

It's actually rather difficult to avoid RCD protection on new circuits. And no chance as I see it on a new CU other than by the use of swa used effectively to feed RCD's.

They are also used to get round supply problems and may even be used to get round cpc sizes in cables.

RCBO's are the preferred option and many electricians see them as easier for isolating faults that they usually get. Costs vary according to make and where they are bought from. There are all sorts of options on combinations fitted into CU's. One for instance might be 2 RCBO's for lighting and one RCD for the rest. Then "emmmm" high integrity CUs that have a couple of ways that bypass RCD's for certain purposes.

The not retrospective aspects of the regs is another area. Perhaps in some respects left down to how an electrician interprets them. The regs themselves tend to assume that cabling is ok unless damaged in some way and has been correctly designed. Safe zones where holes can be drilled are more restricted than they were but should prevent that style of damage. There are more restriction where cables can run as well and how.

Thanks @JohnW2 . (let me be nosy and ask you, I imagine you are the same John W[...] sat by the organ on youtube? I stumbled in some of your videos weeks ago, they are really extremely informational and well explained, I am sure you are not new to this sort of feedback!)
If you mean John Ward, he is an active participant in this forum (albeit under a different guise), but definitely not me - I haven't made a YouTube video in my life!
I totally agree with your view. (And eye-opening to know that RCBOs make diagnostics more difficult.) ... It is a bit of a "trolley problem", or simply how much is someone's lives worth it? If indeed there are 20+ millions dwellings in the UK and replacing all the circuitry to RCDs / RCBOs is going to cost 1 bln pounds (assuming half the dwellings are fully RCDed and the cost of work+material to upgrade the 10mln dwellings is 100 pound) and then there is a chance, not a certainty, to perhaps save 5 lives per year, then perhaps that money can be diverted anywhere else.
Exactly my point.
But then again, that is a collective view. Me as a private citizen, as I might decide I want to pay a ridiculous 4 pound for a loaf of sourdough, I might also decide that for my pocket's worth, spending 100 GBP to just erase from my mind the slightest chance of avoid seeing my partner or children being electrocuted, then be it. Some people decide it is worth 100 quid a month and their health for the small enjoyment of sucking burnt air through a paper cylinder.
Indeed - but that is, and should be, a personal choice. That's very different from making it 'compulsory' for everyone, which is essentially where we are rapidly heading.

It's like seat belts. I have always been a passionate believer in the value and use of seatbelts (not the least because I've seen far too much of the consequences of not using them) - and had them fitted to my car in the late 60s, long before it was compulsory for a car to even have them, let alone compulsory to use the. However, I am equally passionately critical of the fact that their use (by sane adults) is compulsory. It seems crazy to me that in a country in which it is legal to smoke, drink oneself sillly, climb mountains, jump out of aircraft, engage in unprotected sex with people who are HIV positive etc. etc., it is illegal (again, for a sane adult) to be in a car without a seatbelt!

As for your question about (indoor) switches for outside sockets, I think yoiur question has been adequately answered by others. For what it's worth, I personally always would have a switch, but I accept that it would be only very rarely that there might be a problem if I didn't.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back