10 mm thick engineered flooring for the bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking at some 10 mm thick engineered single plank oak t&g (1200 long planks, 2.5mm thick top layer) for the bedroom - this is obviously on the thinner side of the range, but is a good price. I'll be floating it in a 6x5m room

Other than the re-sanding issue (which I'm not too fussed about) are there any other negatives to using this type of product? Will it feel any different e.g springier (I don't want that 'cheap laminate' feel)? How would my experience differ from say a more standard 15mm thick board? Does 'bedroom quality' just refer to the wear layer?

Appreciate any thoughts and advice - thanks!

Sponsored Links
are you putting it on top of an existing floor, made of chipboard or ply or floorboards?

Sponsored Links
"Bedroom" quality not only refers to the thickness of the top layer but also to the material of the backing used in the 10mm product. Soft pine backing makes it more prone to indentations in "heavy traffic" areas, so should only be used in areas where there's not much traffic (bedrooms, or living areas in retirement flats).

It can be more springy if your underfloor is not level, a 15mm and 20mm board is more rigid and can handle slight differences better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back