100cm2 Air Vent for Back Boiler ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
British gas now say I need a 100cm2 Air Vent for my Back Boiler as the vent in the floor isn't suitable the house is typical 30's mid-terraced so boiler pretty close to outside front wall can anybody tell me where to place the new vent on the outside wall i.e. floor level or ceiling level or ???

Any help would be appreciated to get this done.

Sponsored Links
you can put it anywhere, be aware that if you get one with a draught excluder if the draught excluder is fitted it reduces the vent to I think 70 cm2, in days gone by we would fit them behind a radiator,to stop draughts but that is frowned upon now

How did they classify. Did they apply a label, or just talk about it? Floor vents are acceptable, but not if the underfloor communicates with neighbours, and there must be suitable sized vents from the underfloor to outside. Most situations, in my experience, fail those criteria. There is also Radon to consider.

A vent in a high position is generally better fromthe point of view of draughts

Where did 100cm2 come from? What is your equipment?

Many thanks for your replies it's much appreciated . The 100cm2 come from British gas engineer who was servicing the boiler (picture included I hope ? - https://ibb.co/LZFrmpJ ) the floor vent just goes through the floorboards under the floor where's there's about a three foot drop, no duct to outside and no continuation between houses. Before I began fitting the wall vent I just needed to know if there was a specific place it had to be before British gas come back to recheck it if there's no particular place it needs to go where is the best place ? I was thinking about 500mm from floor but maybe in a high position like FiremanT suggests is better ? I will also take the baffles out just in case it changes the airflow as ianmcd suggests just in case it changes the airflow .

So high position or low position for new vent ? makes no odds to me just as long as it gives British Gas no reason to reject it ?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
to be honest they might be being a bit naughty, if the floor vent is the correct size , and you have adequate ventilation for the solum , and not connected to next door and as said not a radon area, then nothing wrong with what you have , you obviously havent had any problems for many years, up to you if you want to do an upgrade

No not radon area and the vent we have seems fine the gas engineer said it needs to be on outside wall as the floor vent could get blocked somebody putting something on it I suppose could be a gas engineer being a bit of a jobs worth I don't know ? but British Gas wanted over £220 to fit the vent which I thought was a bit steep . I'll look into the floor vent fromm under the floor and see which is best way to go. I appreciate your time getting back to me .

Many thanks.

What you have to understand is that BG and all the other companies that offer maintenance contracts, their engineers are under so much pressure to sell you anything, they must quote for something on nearly every job or they go on to an improvement plan, just ask yourself how long has this system been in and have you had any problems ? no so what has changed apart from BG wanting you to spend some money

"what has changed apart from BG wanting you to spend some money" no problems with the system so far it's pretty good and nothing has changed apart from gas regulations maybe ? and maybe BG pushing their engineers to squeeze a few quid out of people ? they do seem to change electric regs every 5 mins I'm not sure if gas is the same ? thanks for all your replies your answers help a lot .

"what has changed apart from BG wanting you to spend some money" no problems with the system so far it's pretty good and nothing has changed apart from gas regulations maybe ? and maybe BG pushing their engineers to squeeze a few quid out of people ? they do seem to change electric regs every 5 mins I'm not sure if gas is the same ? thanks for all your replies your answers help a lot .

The Gas Regulations haven't changed since 1998.

What changes is the 'guidance' (Codes of Practice, BSS etc) that if followed are deemed to prove compliance with the vaguely-worded Gas (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. As a matter of principle, your installation is required to comply with the regulations, guidance etc in force on the day of installation. Subsequent changes can be ignored if you wish.

No not radon area and the vent we have seems fine the gas engineer said it needs to be on outside wall as the floor vent could get blocked somebody putting something on it I suppose could be a gas engineer being a bit of a jobs worth I don't know ? but British Gas wanted over £220 to fit the vent which I thought was a bit steep . I'll look into the floor vent fromm under the floor and see which is best way to go. I appreciate your time getting back to me .

Many thanks.

Is that the only paperwork?. If he genuinely decided it was AR, he shoud have turned it off on a user control, labelled the boiler and completed and left a warning notice, examples of which are below. If he was happy that the vent complied, apart from the risk of furniture covering it, then, IMO, then it is not AR. I would do nothing but make sure it is kept clear, especially if the labels etc were not comleted.

Finally: £220! I will do it cheaper. Assuming you live by a scenic coastm, the Cotswolds or Peak District :)

corgidirect-wl1-do-not-use-labels-pack-03421346F.png

danger-do-not-use-warning-notice-form-pad-of-50-sets-three-forms-in-each-set_min_22972_P_1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back