100mm insulation board in 95mm stud wall...

Sponsored Links
Never use normal plasterboard on external walls as there is a potential for damp which can lead to mould, you need Foil backed plasterboard!

Never use normal plasterboard on external walls as there is a potential for damp which can lead to mould, you need Foil backed plasterboard!
How would you fix it to the wall?

Yes quite. They will be thermal bridge with or without the strips and the strips are still just as useful. And cheaper than wood ones.
True but the OP is insulating a wall between two heated internal spaces, so the main risk is of wasting expensive materials

Sponsored Links
You'll get much better noise performance by putting rockwool or slab insulation in the wall. The PIR boards don't reduce or damp noise at all, this between bedroom and bathroom will be really noticeable.

True but the OP is insulating a wall between two heated internal spaces, so the main risk is of wasting expensive materials
I get that, but Woods was trying to argue against the merits of a plasterboard strip v's other materials - which was a bit silly in this instance (see post #9). Then started on about cold bridge from the studs - which would occur (in another scenario) regardless. And then tells the forum that another layer of insulation (across studs) would prevent this - no schitt Isambard.

Last edited:
Run a bead of foam adhesive down the wood first. Screw to level. Let foam go off. Nip up if necessary - but probably not. Sorted.

other than the plasterboard packing strips it all sounds a bit of a bodge to be honest.

other than the plasterboard packing strips it all sounds a bit of a bodge to be honest.

I agree, it is, but so is using 100mm insulation in a 95mm space!...

my dad thinks plasterboard strips will be too thick, i presume we have 12.5 PB, he is going for 5mm PLYBOARD, i mean it can't hurt i guess but yeah, he is buying it cheap and cutting it into strips ffs. any problems foreseen, hit me up. cheers for replies.

Run a bead of foam adhesive down the wood first. Screw to level. Let foam go off. Nip up if necessary - but probably not. Sorted.

yes my dad did think of this but i can see the foam expanding to say 20mm and then needing to be shaved, so not entirely sure it's a better option as the thickness of the foam cannot be controlled.

i suppose in regards to the outside wall/50mm insulation board, regular pboard, what happens happens in regards to damp can't see him changing anything now.

Last edited:
yes my dad did think of this but i can see the foam expanding to say 20mm and then needing to be shaved, so not entirely sure it's a better option as the thickness of the foam cannot be controlled.

No, you use the foam adhesive designed to stick PB to walls. You don't let the foam expand first! it squashes to whatever you want it to squash to and sets rigid.

Hi - So I'm a bit of a novice DIYer but had the exact same issue when building a garden room this summer. To get around it, I bought two sheets of 11mm ply from B&Q and they even cut it there for me - took them about five minutes with their saw. Nailed these into the stud and then put the plasterboard over the top. It seemed to do the trick for me. :)

If you popped out and bought some Rockwall sound slab, the job would be finished by now ... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back