10mm cable for electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 7.5kw electric shower which has decided to trip the circuit breaker each time it is used, so time for a new shower.

I have my eye on a new 10.8kw monster, but have read that installation requires 10mm cable being that it is larger than the standard. My question is how do I recognize whether the cable (hardly poking out of the wall) is 10mm cable or not?

if it helps, the only text I can see on the cable is Plexman 42 and the house was built in early 2004.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the CPC (earth) a single solid core or stranded?

If it's solid then it's 6mm2 t&e or smaller, if it's stranded then it's 10mm2 t&e or larger.

Can you measure the width of the cable?

There's more to consider when upgrading an electric shower than just the cable size, including:-

The length of the cable run

How and where the cable is routed

The circuit protection (fuse / MCB / RCD)

etc

etc.

Are you aware of the restrictions on DIY electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms ('Part P')?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

From the guide it must be 6mm or even 4mm, it is certainly not 10mm (overall 17mm).

The installation will be carried out professionally, I just needed to know whether to go with a 10.8kw and have the additional cost of an electrician to re-wire, or just go with the cheaper option of a 9kw and plumber.

Great site. Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back