11/11/11

War is always obscene RH. I honestly don't know what would happen if the age for enlisting was raised to say 21 or older. Would it deter young people from joining up if needed? These days I think it would as there's too much of a technological paper trail by the time they reach 16, NI number etc (which can be traced almost instantly)
My grandad, although returning to a roasting off his parents, was still considered a brave lad for doing what he did. I remember him telling me that, working down the pits afterwards, was even more frightening than fighting in the 1st world war (perhaps the innocence of youth, combined with the struggle to survive though)

Sponsored Links
My apologies, I think I mis-understood my own thoughts and mis-presented the question.
Yes, war is always obscene.
I think I should have said: " It is the assumption of governments, that the young men and women, of any country, will respond to a 'call of arms".

How would the raising of the minimum age of enlisting affect governmental "foreign affairs" of this or any other country, bearing in mind that those enlistees have now had a chance to ponder their future.

Perhaps I could go further and suggest that if the "canon fodder" of young people were more hesitant in enlisting then governments would be less likely to engage in acts of war.

I'm not suggesting in any way that our fallen heroes were simply "canon fodder", nor am I making the assumption that other countries have such age restrictions.

I'm simply asking; "if the enlisting age was raised, would it a) give our enlistees time to ponder their future, and b) make governments less 'gung ho'

Edited:
Perhaps it also explains the reluctance of parents/older gerations/sibliings to become enbrolied or allow younger siblings to enlist so willingly.

Dunno about that RH. I think raising the age that young men could enlist would bring it's own problems these days. Youth unemployment is at an all time high and I'm sure quite a few young men consider the Armed Forces simply because it gets them employment. Raise the age they can enlist and there's nothing for them to do, until they reach that age. Having said that, in years gone by, there was more pride in our country and more young men willing to join up, when there was a need for them, and having now said this, I'm sure that every young soldier these days, is very proud to be a part of today's modern Forces, whether they go to Afghanistan or take a backseat role here in this country. ;) ;)

Anyways ,,, it's late and I have been called in to work tomorrow, so I'm offski to bed. ;) ;)

Bon nuit, my bottle is empty, and I have work tomorrow also.

Sponsored Links
As the eleventh hour approaches on remembrance Sunday, we should also reflect on the less reported horror of war, in that we send our children to kill.

On Friday at 11, my class was year 11 and I reminded them that many of those killed were of their age and the 6th form. We read a prayer and upheld a 2 minutes silence along with the rest of the school. And in case it means anything to anyone, nobody wore a white poppy even though there was no instruction not to do so.

As the eleventh hour approaches on remembrance Sunday, we should also reflect on the less reported horror of war, in that we send our children to kill.

On Friday at 11, my class was year 11 and I reminded them that many of those killed were of their age and the 6th form. We read a prayer and upheld a 2 minutes silence along with the rest of the school. And in case it means anything to anyone, nobody wore a white poppy even though there was no instruction not to do so.

Maybe instead of posting this, you should've been stood outside a church with a bunch of those schoolkids, showing them how important it all is.... and not just something on the news, or the classroom?!!... they could've chatted with some of the old 'uns that have been through it all !!

And i'm not having a pop at you Cant.... but i was there with my three boys... two of which were carrying flags for the cubs and beavers !!

Maybe instead of posting this, you should've been stood outside a church with a bunch of those schoolkids, showing them how important it all is.... and not just something on the news, or the classroom?!!... they could've chatted with some of the old 'uns that have been through it all !!

And i'm not having a pop at you Cant.... but i was there with my three boys... two of which were carrying flags for the cubs and beavers !!

Well done to you IaM (and your kids), but to be fair to cantaloup63 it is not the teachers role to do that, it is the parents / guardians. Just to recognise what our service men / women have sacrificed for us is good enough for me.

Wouldn't it be nice if no more sacrifices had to be made.

The school takes this very seriously - nearly 2000 people in it and as well as the classroom observation of respect we had a service in the school chapel and a student played the last post on the bugle whilst those in the cadets wore their uniforms. Assemblies during the week were notably poignant.

Well I had a cold morning at a war memorial with my son being the flag bearer this year for his AFC unit. A good turn out as it happened.

One thing, could someone please please show the Police cadets and actually the officers on parade how to polish their boots.
And another thing, why was it only the Police that were being told "Left. Left, Left right left"?

Dont they know how to march?????

One thing, could someone please please show the Police cadets and actually the officers on parade how to polish their boots.

Shoes for parade aren't polished they are bulled, use only "CHERRY BLOSSOM" black, pour water in the lid and using a new clean cloth apply polish then wet the cloth and rub in small circles and repeat over and over again till they gleam.

If on the other hand you're a ground crew mechanic in the RAF, for the purpose of an AOC's parade, it was always a good time to go to stores and exchange a soiled pair of shoes for a new pair. SIMPLES
:D :D :D

But Sunday morning at church is quite important?

What's more important? Remembering genuinely, or checking in at church to "show how much you care"?
FWIW, me, my wife and 2 kids observed the silence as per the radio broadcast from the cenotaph (I realise the irony of listening to silence on the radio).

May I please thank everybody for posting on this subject, but more importantly for keeping to the spirit in which it was intended as that must be almost as courteous and respectful to our servicemen and women as holding two minutes silence.

THANK YOU ALL.

Sponsored Links
Back