Remembrance Day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let us not forget the bravery of all soldiers that have lost their lives in all the wars of the last century. :(

I have been watching the various services / parades on the news and found it quite moving especially the memories of the relatives of the young men who gave up their lives.

I will be observing the 2 mins silence on Tuesday at the 11th hr of the 11th day.

Sponsored Links
did this morning and we will at work on tuesday. even more moving when you think the latest poppy was laid on the cenotaph for a dead soldier only 3 days ago

Sponsored Links
got drenched with the wife and kids watching the parade, small sacrifice me thinks.

i can only imagine what it was like in 1914 - 1919.

Had a customer phone at precisely 11.00 and then when I obviously ignored it tried the mobile. Ignored that too.

Wasn't even an emergency or anything that couldn't wait. I might be a little more forgiving but they were of an older generation that should know better :rolleyes: ...even if they choose to ignore it a little respect for those that do wouldn't go amiss.

They'll never be forgotten. Brings a lump to my throat just thinking of their sacrifice....many of them were no more than kids.

Roughcaster.

i just wonder how brave you have to be to climb out of a hole in the ground with metal particles flying towards you and only a sharp knife on your rifle...

Well if they didn't climb out of the hole they were shot for cowardice. Either way they were staring death in the face.

I think a couple mins putting everything else in life on hold is the absolute least we can do in memory of all those who have lost their lives fighting for us to have the life we lead today. The DIY loft conversion was put on hold yesterday for Big Ben's chimes, 2 mins of silence and then the last post. I'll be convincing my boss that we ignore phonecalls and 'down tools' at 11am tomorrow.

Had a customer phone at precisely 11.00 and then when I obviously ignored it tried the mobile. Ignored that too.

Wasn't even an emergency or anything that couldn't wait. I might be a little more forgiving but they were of an older generation that should know better :rolleyes: ...even if they choose to ignore it a little respect for those that do wouldn't go amiss.
For me Gasguru, I'd not give them the time of day never mind fix their boiler! Wrapped up in their own pathetic little world for which these lads paid the ultimate price for them to enjoy!
I think a couple mins putting everything else in life on hold is the absolute least we can do in memory of all those who have lost their lives fighting for us to have the life we lead today. The DIY loft conversion was put on hold yesterday for Big Ben's chimes, 2 mins of silence and then the last post. I'll be convincing my boss that we ignore phonecalls and 'down tools' at 11am tomorrow.
Well said Andrew, but the sad thing is we shouldn't have to 'ignore calls' etc. It should just be acknowledged that at that time, on that day, we should ALL be paying our respects to those poor souls that lost their lives and giving thanks that we are able to carry on a 'normal life' because of their service to this country. Over time, the respect and thanks we pay to these lads seems to be diminishing. There seems (to me anyway), less and less respect paid in general these days. I must be getting old I suppose!
Glad I wasn't born in those days.

But respect to the soldiers all the same.
Its about remembering all soldiers who have lost their lives in all wars John but I understand your sentiments.

I do find it very moving when I see teenage soldiers of all sides on the memorials who have lost their lives due to wars that they probably did not understand. :(

Very sad and this tradition of Remembrance should not be allowed to die out.

I qualified for an ex-servicemans button-hole badge last year. However, having visited many of the battle sites and war graves in northern France during the past 10 years, I would have felt very guilty claiming it, let alone wearing it. I spent my 2 years service sitting at a desk and going almost home every evening at five o'clock.

Is it Belgium that has that massive resting site full of crosses, and has anyone actually visited it?

Sponsored Links
Back