110mm / 40mm soil adaptor not deep enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With reference to the attached picture, if the adaptor is pushed all the way down then it is around 15mm below the top of the pipe, slightly exposing the rubber seal. Of course i can lift the adaptor up so that it is level, but wonder if this movement is an issue? TIA

Attachments

• IMG_3407.jpeg
    IMG_3407.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to pull it up a little and then wind a couple of short screws in either side (if the shower waste goes in at 6 o'clock position, wind in at 9 and 3 o'clock) right though the outer pipe and the adapter, just below the seal. The screws will be self sealing and will be out of the way of any hair getting hooked on them but will keep the adapter in place. You wouldn't want that seal to work it's way out to being a hole that allows sewer air in under the tray (unless you have permanent access to the tray underside and can repair at any time.. but even then, fix it once)

Sponsored Links
THe adapter is in a socket - it's sized to go into a pipe - so a short piece of pipe with chamfered end an a smear of silicone grease, fitted in the socket - then the adapter into that

THe adapter is in a socket - it's sized to go into a pipe - so a short piece of pipe with chamfered end an a smear of silicone grease, fitted in the socket - then the adapter into that
Thanks for your input. Just so I understand, are you talking about (say) a 20 mm deep piece of 110 mm pipe placed first into the soil pipe and then the pictured adapter going in and sitting on top of it?

If you're saying it's the same thickness all the way down it's different to what Nige is envisaging. Nige is saying the adapter is slimmer underneath than the ring you can see touching your pipe's rubber seal, so you find a very short section of 110mm soil to push the adapter into and then push the short 110 into your pipe socket, like this doodled-on drawing of a McAlpine waste adaptor:

1701033038733.png

Black- adapter
Red- a short bit of soil pipe
Blue- your grey pipe with the rubber seal

The length you cut the red pipe in this drawing determines the height at which the adaptor sits

Last edited:
If you're saying it's the same thickness all the way down it's different to what Nige is envisaging. Nige is saying the adapter is slimmer underneath than the ring you can see touching your pipe's rubber seal, so you find a very short section of 110mm soil to push the adapter into and then push the short 110 into your pipe socket, like this doodled-on drawing of a McAlpine waste adaptor:

View attachment 322705

Black- adapter
Red- a short bit of soil pipe
Blue- your grey pipe with the rubber seal

The length you cut the red pipe in this drawing determines the height at which the adaptor sits
Ah right, think they are 100mm adapters for clay pipes. Mine is 110 mm and just a bit short for the depth of pipe receptacle. I suspect it is a non-issue, but I would rather ask daft questions then find out the hardware once it is all plumbed in and I can’t get to it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back