115/230V shaver socket

which seems a bit odd!
What seems odd to me is that they should feel the need to limit the current drawn to 200mA when there's no transformer to overload.
If there's no transformer, then I agree. Maybe they're just trying to deter people from plugging their fan heater into this 2-pin socket 'on a lighting circuit'

Reply from MK Technical Dept

The K700WHI shaver outlet has an output rating of 200mA, no inductive or VA rating is applied to this product. The MK web page is incorrect and should read “INCORPORATES A SELF-RESETTING OVERLOAD DEVICE, LIMITING CURRENT TO 200mA”, we apologise for the confusion that this has caused.

The product is designed to meet the requirements of BS4573 which is the standard specification published for 2pin reversible plugs and shaver socket outlets. This is the most applicable standard for this product.

The scope of this standard allows for use with low power shaver products and as such it is mandatory that the output current is limited to 200mA.

Does anybody know if the last part is true, i.e. that BS 4573 actually mandates that the output current be limited to 200mA?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A thought. ... If BS 4573 requires sockets for 2 pin reversible plugs to be limited to 200mA, how come BS 1363 -> 4573 adapters are allowed? ... Like this one, for example:
Yes, an interesting thought. I suppose that there no law saying that two different Standards have to take the same approach.

An additional problem with that adaptor is that, although it seemingly comes with a 1A fuse, if it's a BS1362 one (or anything else 'findable', come to that) someone could presumably change it for a 13A one.

Kind Regards, John

hi sorry for latching onto this after so long, but im trying to find a way of charging a usa 120v toothbrush in uk (no im not american, I have just bought a usa brush for use in usa/carribean) so wondering if the 115v side of my shaver socket will do the job ? others have said my uk toothbrush charger will work on usa toothbrush (both are braun) but I asked braun uk and they are 'not sure' !!

The 115V sockets are for americans coming over here with their shavers.

Yes its a good point that 2 230v sockets would be more use.

Yes that is what the 115v side is for!
115v is a nominal voltage, as is 230volts. The actual voltage can be + 10% if nominal.

Have s look at your Braun. Many of them can charge in 230 and 115 sockets. It will be written on the thing.

115v is a nominal voltage, as is 230volts. The actual voltage can be + 10% if nominal.

Have s look at your Braun. Many of them can charge in 230 and 115 sockets. It will be written on the thing.

hi thanks for quick reply. no, braun only do one toothbrush that's multi voltage (8000 genius) and its based on the travel case being an convereter/adapter I believe, , mine is a usa pro 1000 which is only 120v

But may, of course, be installed inside a cupboard, as long as the door has a latch operated by turning a handle or a knob.
That is my interpretation too, but where in the regs does it allude to this?

Be very carefull. With those isolated shaver sockets the quoted output voltage is at normal loading of around 20watts. The regulation is very poor and on no or low load such as a charger the voltage will be around 140v on the 115v side and 270v on the 230v side.

Do be aware not all shaver sockets are rated for continuous use only if it has picture of tooth brush on it can it be used for a tooth brush.

A toothbrush charger is a very much smaller load than 20VA so any shaver socket should not overload. Not having a picture of a toothbrush more likely indicates an old socket from before rechargeable toothbrushes were common. I would be more worried about the 270v output of the poorly regulated shaver socket. I always use the 115v output for recharbles which is actually about 140v for this reason.

A toothbrush charger is a very much smaller load than 20VA so any shaver socket should not overload. Not having a picture of a toothbrush more likely indicates an old socket from before rechargeable toothbrushes were common. I would be more worried about the 270v output of the poorly regulated shaver socket. I always use the 115v output for recharbles which is actually about 140v for this reason.
Older sockets had a switch so if there is no plug in socket there is no supply to transformer, although power drawn does change how hot it gets, some old ones get hot even when the lead is unplugged from shaver instead of unplugging from socket.

I know it does not make sense, my dad had a cordless shaver before I needed to shave around the mid 60's so clearly no different charging a shaver to tooth brush, however I have seen many discoloured shaver sockets which have clearly overheated while being used to charge items.

Personally not bothered with shaver socket, I would make a good father Christmas.

hi thanks for quick reply. no, braun only do one toothbrush that's multi voltage (8000 genius) and its based on the travel case being an convereter/adapter I believe, , mine is a usa pro 1000 which is only 120v
Almost all Braun toothbrushes are essentially the same, differing only in which collection of unnecessary bells and whistles each one has, and they are battery powered. If you had a new one you could go to the USA for a week and not need to worry about voltage because you would never need to charge it. It is the chargers which are voltage sensitive, and if you do a lot of travelling get one of the travel cases which is USB powered. You'll be able to put almost any Oral-B handle into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back