12mm WBP exterior plywood - how much rain can it stand ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In an earlier post I mentioned my mission to affect some sort of roof repair to my garage/utility room roof.

I want to "reboard" the roof as the current one has a few small dips which collect water and if I just overlay some new felt (or something) these might continue to collect and eventually lead to new weak points.

So (part of) my plan is simply to screw some new 12mm WBP exterior plywood down on top of the old roof just to level stuff out and then apply the new felt (or whatever) on top of that.

Problem is that we're having frequent spells of bad weather here in the UK and I probably can't get the entire job done in one run of dry weather !

So.....

If I get the WBP ply down first, will that survive a few days of rain before I get the chance to apply the layers of felt (or whatever I'm using) ?

Thanks,

Sean.

Sponsored Links
It should survive ok but best to get it covered ASAP as any damp that gets in will warp the layers, why not look into using OSB, maybe slightly more expensive but more resiliant.

a lot of exterior grade ply's are designed to handle some weathering.

but i'm sure no company will absolutely guarantee against delamination.

Sponsored Links
2 or 3 days wet should be ok even on 2 or 3 different occasions as long as it drains inbetween

the worst thats likly to happen is one layer will delaminate slightly for a few inches if it dosnt dry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back