12v dimmable transformer query

Do 'electronic' things generally work the same as the earlier 'electric' or mechanical things?

In the case of transformer versus SMPS the answer is ""No they do NOT""

An SMPS can block or seriously affect the quality of radio comms to an adjacent receiver. As was found when a 230 volt 40 watt incandescent desk lamp had to be replaced. The replacement LED ( with SMPS driver ) adversly affected the walkie talkie that was used by the person sitting at the desk.

Sponsored Links
In the case of transformer versus SMPS the answer is ""No they do NOT""
I think that was EFLI's point - when something from the past evolves into something new, wikth a 'qualified' name, one does not really expect it to work quite the same ...

The definition of a "car" relates to a vehicle with an internal combustion engine. However, I don't think that anyone would believe that an "electric car" worked in exactly the same way, and nor would it occur to them to try to put petrol into their (exclusively) 'electric car'.

I agree with winston that there could be confusion if/when (as many do) one uses just the word "transformer" to relate to an SMPSU, just as it could be confusing to refer to an EV simply as "a car". However, if those 'original' words are qualified (by 'electronic' or 'electrical' respectively), I see no massive problem.

Kind Regards, John

However, if those 'original' words are qualified (by 'electronic' or 'electrical' respectively), I see no massive problem.

You and I and many engineers do not have a ""problem"" as we know that an SMPS has to be treated very differently to the way we would would use an inductive transformer.

The problems we have to deal with are when an SMPS is installed as a "transformer" and subsequently things go wrong with other equipment. ( other equipment includes lamps supplied by the SMPS ).

Equipment designed to work on a 12 volt supply from a transformer with a 12 volt RMS AC 50 Hz output may not work on the 12 v eff AC output from an SMPS. The installer cannot understand why the equipment works perfectly when supplied by one type of 12 volt AC transformer but does not work when supplied with another type of 12 volt AC transformer.

some posts have been removed
You and I and many engineers do not have a ""problem"" as we know that an SMPS has to be treated very differently to the way we would would use an inductive transformer.
Indeed so - in the same way as most people presumably understand that, although being called a (variant of a) "car", an "electric car" does not have a fuel tank, carburettor/fuel injectors or a camshaft/belt/chain.
The problems we have to deal with are when an SMPS is installed as a "transformer" and subsequently things go wrong with other equipment.
Again, indeed, but that happens primarily when they are just called 'transformers', rather than 'electronic transformers' (or SMPSU) - just as could hypothetically happen if someone bought something described just as "a car" and was then struggling to discover where to put the petrol in!

Like you, winston, and I suspect many others, I would be happier if the terminology had not arisen/evolved in the way it has. However, it's clearly here to stay, and nothing is to be gained by moaning about it - but I do think we should do everything we can to persuade everyone, from manufacturers down, to describes the SMPSUs as "electronic transformers", rather than just "transformers", and also to improve documentation so as to make it more likely that people can work out whether the product would be suitable for their purpose.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
an "electric car" does not have a fuel tank,
which is obvious to any user since there is no petrol filler cap. Other differences are not obvious but do have an effect on how the car performs.

Maybe one day somethig will happen with enough consequences that SMPS have to be labelled with the operating frequency and estimated level of spuriius radiation they are emitting

Maybe one day somethig will happen with enough consequences that SMPS have to be labelled with the operating frequency and estimated level of spuriius radiation they are emitting
Indeed. As I said, in addition to the issue of what they are called, I think it would be highly desirable for the documentation to be clearer about exactly what the product is/does, and hence it's upsides/downsides, including some guidance as to what it was (and was not) suitable for.

Kind Regards, John

Maybe the peop-le who have problems with radiated emissions from SMPS should complain to Trading Standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back