12v Garden lighting Polarity - 2 core cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I'm adding lights to a 12v garden lighting system that was already in place when we moved into our house. When replacing a part of the 2 core black cable, I forgot to take note of which core of the cable was on the left and which was on the right (hope that makes sense)!

Does it matter if the accidently switched the polarity (is polarity even a thing with these 12v systems)?

With the cable I replaced, the lights work when I connect the wires in both ways, so I'm hoping polarity isn't a thing I need to worry about in this instance and it's ok.

But if anyone can advise, that would be great.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
most garden lighting is AC, check the transformer. Also check the transformer is powerful enough for extra lights

most garden lighting is AC, check the transformer. Also check the transformer is powerful enough for extra lights
Hi @SUNRAY I've attached a picture of the transformer and the type of cable. It's a Ring Select-a-light system. I'm assuming it's this: https://12vgardenlights.com/blogs/n...r-failed-or-thinking-of-upgrading-your-lights

I have the manual which says to use 12v cable. Thanks for your help.

1000036563.jpg1000036569.jpg

Looks to be AC

There is a rib on the bottom cable on the righhand conductor but this rib is on the top left. So I would suspect AC and either way should be OK.

As Sunray said, check the transfromer is good for more lights. How many are connected already?

Sponsored Links
Looks to be AC

There is a rib on the bottom cable on the righhand conductor but this rib is on the top left. So I would suspect AC and either way should be OK.

As Sunray said, check the transfromer is good for more lights. How many are connected already?
Thanks @Deryck Tintagel for the reply - when you say it should be OK, do you mean I don't need to worry if the two cores of the wire have swapped over by accident (like in the poorly sketched image below)!

The system had 8 post lights with halogen G4 bulbs. I've swapped them all out for LED g4 bulbs and I'm adding 8 LED spotlights. So I feel ditching the halogen should mean the transformer will be able to cope. Annoying the label has come off! I have a multimeter - wondering if I can use that to measure the wattage of the transformer.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 09.19.39.png

Thanks @Deryck Tintagel for the reply - when you say it should be OK, do you mean I don't need to worry if the two cores of the wire have swapped over by accident (like in the poorly sketched image below)!
Yes, the wires are swapped per the sketch and for SELV using AC it makes no difference. The new LEDs are not polarity concious as the pins coud be pushed into the holder either way round. Providing the LEDs are OK for AC then you should be OK.

The system had 8 post lights with halogen G4 bulbs. I've swapped them all out for LED g4 bulbs and I'm adding 8 LED spotlights. So I feel ditching the halogen should mean the transformer will be able to cope. Annoying the label has come off! I have a multimeter - wondering if I can use that to measure the wattage of the transformer.
I guess you have already had the replacement LEDs working?

Looking at the transformer and based on the fact you already have had 8 G4 halogen running I would say you have something like a 200W transformer so will be more than plenty for additional lights. LED G4 are probably 2W each so need 32W to power them. You might consider changing the supply to something smaller.

I am fitting 5W LED spots in my garden - currently 4-off using a 12V 50W LED driver but plan plan on another 4-off - 40W with some headroom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back