15mm Hot pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to re fit en suite and the current supply to the basin is in 15mm copper, should I change the pipe to 22mm for better flow. The flow and pressure to the single hot tap is ok but I will be fitting a mixer.

Sponsored Links
probably not unless the hot water source is fairly close - 22mm carries twice the volume of water of 15mm, so all that cold water needs to be flushed through before the warm stuff arrives.

personally i wouldn't change the spec.

Depends on the type of hot water system you have.

An open vented hot water system may require 22mm to allow a reasonable flow rate with the limited water pressure available.

Most pressurised systems and combi boilers will work fine with 15mm.

As it's only going to a basin 15mm will be ok, as the tap connectors are 15mm. Also be aware that if you have isolation valves on the hot and cold pipes, they will further restrict the flow.

If you have gravity fed supplies then be aware that some mixer taps are only suitable for high pressure i.e. mains or pump fed. :)

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Thank's everyone some good points for and against there, but I'm still in 2 minds. A bit more info, system is gravity fed and it's about 10m run to the basin. I'll make sure I buy a mixer tap suitable for gravity fed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back