17stone

Next time you're hungry, think of it as a weight loss opportunity. This won't make the hunger go away but it does help. I know because I'm also trying to bust the podge. :) :) :) You have to be hungry all day every day for a week just to lose a pound. :( :( :( If you're seriously hungry you could lose two pounds. :cry: :cry: :cry: The down side is that you can easily put on a pound in a day. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Here are a few more tips:

1) Have plenty of very low calorie stuff in the fridge. Carrots, cauliflower, radishes, melon, cucumber and tomatoes are all good. Maybe you can think of a few more that you fancy.

2) Conversely, don't have high calorie stuff easily available. This is particularly true of anything that's been opened and looks like it 'needs using up'.

3) If you know roughly when you're likely to feel hungry, be somewhere where there isn't any food.

4) If you get hungry and food is beckoning, distract yourself with something even more interesting - like sex. :p :p :p (Failing this, get out of the house.)

5) Eat less than you really want then wait an hour. It takes time for food to make its way through your digestive system.

6) Weigh yourself once a week - daily weighings fluctuate too much - always at the same time of day and on the same scales.

7) Don't be too shocked if, despite having been hungry all week, your weight has gone up. As fat cells empty they can fill up with water and this weighs more than the original fat. Just keep going until they give up and die. :evil: :evil: :evil:

A final hint: A doctor once told me that you should always wake up hungry in the morning. If you aren't hungry for your breakfast you didn't lose any weight yesterday.

Sponsored Links
i am fortunate in never (thus far) having trouble with maintaining weight.

but i sympathise with those that do. my wife tells me that she constantly thinks about food when not otherwise distracted. :eek:

i can eat my tea on a Friday eve at say 5:30pm and not bother eating till mid-day the next day. i never eat breakfast and Saturday mornings i'm busy measuring up then quoting.

i think distracting oneself from the thoughts about food can be quite effective, but alas we are surrounded by the stuff which is all to easily accessible.

i find golf a good way of being distracted and away from just about everything.

I started changing my diet on 01/01/08...

I'm having Herbalife twice a day, then an "ordinary meal" in the pm.

So far, I've lost over 2 stone, am now down to a svelte-like 18 stone 7.

OK, so I was a real fat ****er before....now I'm only a fat ****er...;)

Well, just think of what could happen, if not only did you not lose weight, but you put weight on....

This would depress you.
You would start to drink.
You would become an alcoholic.
Your wife would leave you, taking the house/money.
You will lose your job.
You will end up in the gutter.
You will steal to buy alcohol.
You will get caught.
You will go to jail.
You will take communal showers.
You will drop the soap.

You getting my drift....................LOSE THAT WEIGHT NOW.

Sponsored Links
Richard - this post is just for information - you must make up your own mind whether my suggestion is safe or not, given the bad press.

Three years ago I embarked on the 'Atkins Diet'. I was never hungry, the weight fell off and I can say that I never felt better. A similar type of diet is the 'South Beach Diet', which is perhaps a little more lenient.

Low fat diets are a con. People trying to lose weight eat stuff described as 'low fat' but because low fat stuff is so horrible the manufactuers include loads of sugar ( i.e. empty weight increasing calories).

Simple carbohydrates are the real enemy. I adore fresh crusty rolls - doesn't everybody - but wheat is the enemy. Some people are actually allergic to wheat as well.

Sadly I have put weight back on because I have been living a peripatetic
lifestyle for a few years and haven't been able to control my diet very well. But I am now settled and wll get back on the straight and narrow.
This will include stopping drinking wine - - fatally full of calories !

I would suggest that you take the time to read the Atkins book. It makes very good sense. Particularly as regards diabetes.

Once you have lost the desired amount of weight (very quickly without too much deprivation) you may reintroduce complex carbohydrates to your diet. But sadly carbohydrate and sugar rich bread and cakes can only be an occasional treat. But all is not lost, there are plenty of recipes available for low carbohydrate goodies.

But the benefits outweigh the downsides - I remain convinced.

Good luck !

5) Eat less than you really want then wait an hour. It takes time for food to make its way through your digestive system.

Actually, 20 minutes should crack it. It's the time it takes for your stomach to tell your brain to tell your mouth you're full.

there is a simple calculation here.... calories in v calories burned.

there are lots of things you can do to both reduce calorie intake, and increase calorie burn.... there are added benefits in both methods.... calorie burn can strengthen the heart, and calorie reduction can mean reduced fat, better diet...

at the end of the day, short term diets dont work, whereas, change of lifestyle is what's needed...

gradual weight loss is preferable, ideally with increased fitness, muscle tone etc.

change the way you do things..... eat better, and becmoe more active.... you can't faile with this method unless you have extreme medical conditions, in which case a doctor should be involved from the off.

Good luck

ok! Thanks everyone I've taken it all on board, I've cut back the amount of food and booze and I am going to exorcise more, one of the problems we have is that after years of being hard up we just can't throw food away, so tend to eat it until its gone!! I mean we don't tend to plate up but we put the food on the table and help ourselves, and we just make too much, so will plate up in future.
hope to report back soon, a slimmer person than before ha! ha!

Woud you like to join me on my summer job? The Scottish Tourist Board pays me £500 a week, and all I have to do is swim up and down Loch Ness :LOL:

How about building a wall - dam even, around the house? A nice long project - turrets 'nall - lighthouse perhaps?
That'll get rid of the podge - up and down the scaffold in and out of the New Inn.... via pedalo - blimey you'd be so fit you'd be slapping the paint on with both hands and feet ... :rolleyes:

People trying to lose weight eat stuff described as 'low fat' but because low fat stuff is so horrible the manufactuers include loads of sugar ( i.e. empty weight increasing calories).

Speaking as a qualified food scientist, this is very true.

Fat & sugar are both flavour-carriers. So, where food has had the fat reduced, sugar is used to replace the qualities lost by removing the fat.

Also, while we're on food, beware foods like tomato sauces or products made with them. They can be crammed with salt, but hey presto, add some sugar & that salty flavour instantly disappears.

Sponsored Links
Back