17th edition - cable couplers

Sponsored Links
Do they mean something about not wiring the male part of the coupler to the mains side?

My tutor couldn't get his head round that one either. That was one of the questions I got in my 17th edition aswell!

Sponsored Links
If you look at the definition of connector it becomes clear, and I'd say that they've introduced these definitions to avoid the confusion of male/female contacts and what is it that makes something a socket - is it that you plug something into it, or is it that it has female contacts? With an extension cable with a male end and a female end, does the distinction between plug and socket rely on gender, or which one you hold stationary and which one you move? If you've got portable equipment to be supplied by a generator, and the genny has a female 60309 "thing" on it's panel, and the appliance has a male 60309 "thing", which is the plug and which is the socket?

And yes, what they mean is don't put something with male contacts on the supply side.

"So a socket (ie something you plug into) is now a connector."

Not necessarily. It might be the something you plug, not plug into, but it can't be called a plug because it isn't.

Go and make a cuppa while you think about it, and while it's brewing look at the kettle lead.

It's got a 1363 plug on one end, and an IEC C15 connector on the other. The C16 "socket" on the kettle that you plug the C15 into isn't a connector (it has male contacts). If anything it's a plug.

Do they mean something about not wiring the male part of the coupler to the mains side?

That's what I said!

The end remote from the supply s the other end of the lead that is connected to the supply.

The connector is female, so that when the lead is energised, there are no accessible live parts.

Think about an electric lawnmower. The male end is on the appliance, the female on the supply lead.

I once had a brother in law who wiredit A about F , just lucky it was only a phone point and not a mains plug.
Now we know what it means (thanks to Ban) but yes I think it coulda been worded a little clearer

1) Then I await a similar retort from you to securespark.

2) I'm pretty sure that when I started my reply your post consisted only of
I've got it, in the definition of cable coupler it says consists of a "connector and plug", and the definition of connector says "the female part"

So a socket (ie something you plug into) is now a connector.

Talk about making life complicated. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
i.e. without the Edit. So I saw nothing wrong in expanding on it, particularly as it was a bit inaccurate in one place: "So a socket (ie something you plug into) is now a connector".

3) "Diatribe"?? You should buy something like this:

2) I'm pretty sure that when I started my reply your post consisted only of Quote:
I've got it, in the definition of cable coupler it says consists of a "connector and plug", and the definition of connector says "the female part"

So a socket (ie something you plug into) is now a connector.

Talk about making life complicated.
i.e. without the Edit.

That`s exactly what I thought too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back