1960s house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently acquired a house built in 1964, the wiring is pvc and shows no sign of deterioration, but at nearly 40 years old should a complete rewire be undertaken?

Sponsored Links
It would be worth getting it checked out.

If it has the original 1960's installation, there will be a number of areas where it does not meet current standards, as the latest wiring regs were pubished in 1991, the 15th Edition was 1981, and the 14th was in 1966. Given the usual grace period before each edition became mandatory, a "1960s" installation will almost certainly be done according to the 13th Edition.

Things like the size of protective conductors (or even their existence in lighting circuits), earthing, equipotential bonding, bathroom zones, RCD protection are major ares of difference which spring to mind. Old lags can probably add to the list.

As to the vexed question of whether it is "unsafe" - it's hard to argue with the fact that (I assume ;) ) nobody has been hurt by any of it in the last 40 years, and the house has not caught fire. People were not dying in droves in the 60's from electric shocks.

But each passing version of the regs added or updated safety-related requirements, and so, mostly, wiring done to 16th Edition rules is safer than that done to 13th.

You should find an electrician you can trust to give you an honest opinion, not an automatic "it's all got to go", and discuss with him the reality of what you've got, and it's safety implications.

Bear in mind that when Part P becomes law you will be required to update any old wiring where any new installation depends on it.

on the other hand if it is grey pvc it may have been rewired...........but when?

:( If your wiring is that old, it will probably be safer to rewire it in its entirety, older cable is likely to start decaying etc.

One way to check, open up a lightswitch, and if the cable has three strands in it, it is obsolete (3/.029) imperial cable, as such cable has been out of production for many decades now - this means your wiring is in dangerous condition - and you should get a NICEIC electrician to replace it.

Sponsored Links
i would disagree, it may be only the light switch cable that is old, bes place to look is the c.u.

I'm supprised you never got a NICEIC inspection when you got the house..its a usuall requirement from your money lender....I know sometimes the over-rated surveyors dont pick it up......if it 40 years old it will need upgrading, as ban-all-sheds said the regulations get ammended in some way every year

supersparks said:
Why an nic electrician? nic are no more qualified...

AR

I take it this was aimed at M-B, maybe he thinks that they are NICEic electricians and will sing when they are working, and not charge.....(dont know where i'm going on this one :oops: )

[Bear in mind that when Part P becomes law you will be required to update any old wiring where any new installation depends on it.quote]].

Ban_all Sheds

I take you mean that any changes in regs will have to identified :?: Say supplementary bonding will have to be added where appropriate but existing wiring (if in good condition) will remain.

Wipe sweat from furrowed brow :!:

No - if you, say, extend a ring, or add a spur, and you've got old cable where the protective conductor is too small to give you a fast enough disconnect time then you will have to replace all of the cable on that circuit.

There are probably lots of other examples, but that's the first one that came to me.

il78 said:
supersparks said:
Why an nic electrician? nic are no more qualified...

AR

I take it this was aimed at M-B, maybe he thinks that they are NICEic electricians and will sing when they are working, and not charge.....(dont know where i'm going on this one :oops: )

certaily wasnot :LOL:
AR

ban-all-sheds said:
No - if you, say, extend a ring, or add a spur, and you've got old cable where the protective conductor is too small to give you a fast enough disconnect time then you will have to replace all of the cable on that circuit.

There are probably lots of other examples, but that's the first one that came to me.

So, when did cpc's change in 2.5 t&e:?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back