When do you know if you need rewiring?

I think 20A is plenty for upstairs. 60A for whole house is common.

However, there are several options for upstairs.
One 20A radial, two 20A radials, one 32A ring, one 32A radial, two 32A radials etc.

The ring is not the only alternative nor bee-all and end-all, but if you already have a 20A radial to all of the upstairs then converting it to a ring would probably only involve the addition of a relatively short length of cable.

Sponsored Links
In the process of attaining additional quotes

One of the contractors said that he wouldn't be happy signing of my electrics as the earthing cables in the lights have all short

He said that in their current state he cannot fit them into the light fixtures. Therefore he would recommend an entire rewire of the property, as opposed to 32A ring in the kitchen and bedrooms

Is the electrician right?

What confuses me, is the decrepency between different electricians. You call one and he says 'this is no good, a rewire is necessary'. Then you call another and they say that 'while this is not great, it is actually okay if i make this minor remedial change'

I think 20A is plenty for upstairs. 60A for whole house is common.

However, there are several options for upstairs.
One 20A radial, two 20A radials, one 32A ring, one 32A radial, two 32A radials etc.

The ring is not the only alternative nor bee-all and end-all, but if you already have a 20A radial to all of the upstairs then converting it to a ring would probably only involve the addition of a relatively short length of cable.

The electrician has informed me that he will be using fresh wiring for the 32A ring upstairs and in the kitchen.

Thanks for the comment :)

One of the contractors said that he wouldn't be happy signing of my electrics as the earthing cables in the lights have all short
Ok.

He said that in their current state he cannot fit them into the light fixtures. Therefore he would recommend an entire rewire of the property, as opposed to 32A ring in the kitchen and bedrooms
Is the electrician right?
Did he mean he 'cannot' because for some reason it is not allowed, or
he 'cannot' because he can't get at them?

If he can get at them then they only need to be extended to fit to the lights and switches.

What confuses me, is the decrepency between different electricians. You call one and he says 'this is no good, a rewire is necessary'. Then you call another and they say that 'while this is not great, it is actually okay if i make this minor remedial change'
I am afraid a lot of so-called electricians are not very bright (once told something, then that is all there is) and a lot will rip you off (say things must be done when that is not the case).
Also, a lot think ring circuits for sockets is the only option.

The electrician has informed me that he will be using fresh wiring for the 32A ring upstairs and in the kitchen.
If that is because it is being considered a rewire then fine.

We obviously cannot tell what actually needs doing from an internet forum.

Sponsored Links
Ok.

Did he mean he 'cannot' because for some reason it is not allowed, or
he 'cannot' because he can't get at them?

The wires in the lights and the sockets have earth. However, unless you look closely, you will miss the earth in the lighting circuits as someone appears to have snipped it for some reason.

So because the earth is so short, the electrician said that he cannot connect this to light fixtures and switches (even if they are plastic) and the earth needs to be connected..

Consequently, he recommended an entire re-wire

I am afraid a lot of so-called electricians are not very bright (once told something, then that is all there is) and a lot will rip you off (say things must be done when that is not the case).
Also, a lot think ring circuits for sockets is the only option.
Sometimes I wish that I could get all of the electricians in the same room to find out who's telling porkies :D:D

Thanks for the comment!

The wires in the lights and the sockets have earth. However, unless you look closely, you will miss the earth in the lighting circuits as someone appears to have snipped it for some reason.

So because the earth is so short, the electrician said that he cannot connect this to light fixtures and switches (even if they are plastic) and the earth needs to be connected..

Consequently, he recommended an entire re-wire

Sometimes I wish that I could get all of the electricians in the same room to find out who's telling porkies :D:D

Thanks for the comment!

You should introduce him to the concept of a soldering iron!

I think a lot to do with differing opinions amounts to the fact that the house would benefit from a full rewire, yet people are conscious of your desire to save parts of the wiring in an attempt to save money.

All false economy of course.

You have 50+ years old wiring. PVC wiring of your age does not perish in the way old rubber cable did, yet a full rewire would solve many problems, and it sounds like during your refurbishment you won't get a better time to do this work.

Factors which help me to decide whether to rewire or patch up include:
Is the lighting earthed?

Are the doors going to be rehung, making light switches the wrong side?

Will there be an excessive amount of junction boxes?

Are there enough sockets, and are they in the right places?

Are the lights in the correct positions? Any off-centre near the bedroom windows?

Any green slime?

Very often so many alterations can be made it's a far better job to start again with nice new wiring.

Didn't worry about the money, you can't take it with you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back