2 earths 2 pendants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

In the attached image. Assuming the blue circles are the ceiling roses, why is the first ceiling rose not connected to the earth in the fitting, and only attached to the earth in the second fitting?
I am fitting two pendants from a junction box and each pendant has a L, N and an earth port in the terminals inside each unit.
Is there any issue connecting earths to both roses?

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/albums/luthersboots.27094/#ixzz6Ncx8N669

Sponsored Links
If it were me I wouldn't start by trying to copy a diagram from a USA website. They have some strange ideas over there, like using wirenuts. I would ask why you needed to use a junction box at all.

Your pendant fittings (if they're the usual plastic type) don't require earthing . But someone down the line might hang something that does require earthing- linking the CPCs in the roses means there will be an earth at the end of the line

Okay let me explain my task and my thinking. I consider it pretty straightforward ‍♂️ We have switched our dining table to another part of the room.

I want to remove the existing light from the old location and replace it with two new ones positioned in the new location. Both coming on at the same time and Keeping the same switch etc.

So I figured the easiest way was to remove the pendant light. Connect a cable to the existing block in the ceiling and take that feed to a junction box.Then take two feeds out of the junction box. One to each light.

I have drawn a diagram to explain. The new light fittings are metal and have metal brackets and as explained in the post, have a grown input in each of their terminal boxes.

Sponsored Links
So why not just run the new cable to one of the new lights and then another cable between the new lights. The only thing the new junction box contributes is to introduce new connections which are hard to access when they go wrong.

Better solution
upload_2020-5-27_10-43-58.png

Or

Okay, for my own sanity and knowledge although more complicated than required, would my proposed setup be safe? I.e Both earths inside the roses connected (aside from the added potential issue of a junction box)?

In your explanation (which seems less complicated!) Is the original (albeit trans-atlantiic) Diagram sufficient?

Yes.

The basic explanation is: your existing live, neutral and earth need to be extended to both of the new locations.

It is possible that the supply cable that you have drawn entering from the top actually comes from the bottom and passes near your new light positions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back