2 estimates - huge price difference?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I hope someone can advise me in here... I got a leak in my roof that needs to be sorted out pretty urgently. The roof overall does not look in a healthy condition. It looks like the leaks is around the chimneys. So I got a few quotes. Most of them are around £3,500 but one of them just £2000 for the same job. So I'm just wondering what is going on:

£3,500 quote:
- erect and dismantle 2nr tower scaffolding
- strip out all badly broken slated and de-nail, replace any missing slates, and repair were necessary on entire property, ensuring fixed securely by means of 50mm galvanised nails
- hack of cement pointing to cement ridge and re-point using good sound mortar
- strip out lead on 2 NO chimneys and re-new using Code 5 lead (450 mm), apply new lead flashing, polysulphate raggles ensuring good cover with neat finish
- re-slate watergates ensuring correct cover
- remove all vegetation from gutters strip off rusty bolts were gutter is leaking at joints and re-putty, supply and fit new bolts and seal inside gutters ensuring free flowing
- apply 2 no coats of black hammerite paint to gutters and down pipes
- remove all our debris from site leaving clean and tidy

£2000 quote:
- erect 2nr tower scaffoldings
- strip out defective watergates and back gutter to both chimneys and cart away
- supply and fix new lead back gutter & watergate to both chimney replacing defective
- make good all slating to new Watergate & gutter
- supply and fix new vent cowl to chimney pot at Left elevation chimney replacing damaged
- check over main roof and replace badly broken & missing slates, secure dislodged slated and re-fix
- check all flashings to vent & flue pipes through roof & replace where defective
- to re-point ridge tiles to main ridge with a strong mix of mortar with added bonding agent
- clean out rainwater gutters to front & rear
- dismantle scaffolding on completion, cart away all debris
- leaving all in good order

Hope someone can help me with this as these looks to me exactly the same except of the huge price difference...

Thank you

Sponsored Links
when you looked at some recent work done by the two roofers, and spoke to the householders, what opinion did you form of their quality?

Right, what about the chimney flashing?
The more expensive one includes two new chimney flashings (code 5 lead), but the cheaper quote includes only two lead back gutters.
It makes me think that the lead back gutters are something else than flashings... so will lead back gutters do the job? Why to use them at all?

Sponsored Links
As above, but did any of them turn up in a car? Do they speak 'good' English?

And if your guttering is that bad then forget having new bolts fitted. Rip it all down and fit new facias/soffits and black plastic guttering.

Andy

Yes, all of them turned up in branded cars. The cheaper quote comes from a family business roofer, while the more expensive one is more of a regular company.

Good English is slightly exaggerated as they are Scottish :) but they are local people

I'm thinking of calling back the cheaper company and ask some more questions on why is it so cheap. Is there anything in particular you think I should inquire to make sure this will be a decent fix and not just paint over and hope it will last?

Well you can Google the cost of materials. Ask how long it will take and how many men - then work out their hourly rate.

I would strike anybody of the list who wants to nail your slates on with 2 inch nails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back