2 or 3 core SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read a few topics which have touched on this but wondering if anyone had a definate answer.
I am runing SWa for 1KW of outside lights. Should I run 3 core (live, neutral and earth) or 2core and relying on armour for earth.

Sponsored Links
if the cable is terminated in a metal box the armour is fine, not lighting a football pitch are you?

1 kw is a heck of a lot of lights

no no. one 500W halogen and 3 light fittings 100W each so 800W
based my calculations on 1000W to alow for one or two extra lights in the future.

that depends, if its incandescent its one moderate sized theatre spotlight or two normal 500W halogen floodlights or ten 100W bulbs, in a large area thats not a great ammount.

now 1KW of high efficiancy lighting is another matter but high efficiancy lighting types have thier own problems. sodium is very slow to start, flourescent is fairly slow to start and doesn't like frequent on/off, LED is new and expensive.

Sponsored Links
just to check. I was intending to use 2.5mm SWA. Run is 60m. Voltage drop is around 5.5 so well within the limits

The best I can offer is this.
Yep that really is a twelve thousand watt HMI discharge lamp :eek:

RF Lighting said:
Why would someone spend a grand on a bulb? Surely a few smaller ones would be more money-efficient??? :eek:

oiko_DSC01483.jpg
1400 moving lights anyone?

I hope they weren't wired by the same guys wiring the coop stores. Just imagine, 1400 lights = 350 four way blocks :)

Pensdown said:
I hope they weren't wired by the same guys wiring the coop stores. Just imagine, 1400 lights = 350 four way blocks :)
heh. For that, you'd need 350 sockets though. If you used 467 4-way blocks, its possible to plug them all into one socket (provided the 13A fuses are replaced with those new fangled M8 fuses.) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back